dogs

Thanks to all for the Warm Welcome!
smile.png

From the signatures, I can see I'm 'hangin' with the right gang! I love the zoo's full of critters!
Birdaholic, I have to comment... My first dog was a pit bull terrier(4-H, therapy, Obedience), Then to Dobermans(more of the same), then minpins(confirmation, breeding Champions, Obedience and Agility), and now my Border Collies (Agiilty, Herding and anything under the sun a dog can do!) Many have gone to the rainbow bridge over the last 25+ years. I still have two of my minpins and 2 BC with me.

and, of course, the ducks, geese, and sheep - just to make sure I don't have too much spare time and money laying around...

()relics :

Do you have a dog? I agree with some of what you say, I don't agree with the tone. You are surely generalizing all dog owners because You have apparently developed a fear of dogs. You have never met my dogs. They would certainly not jump on you and they don't even know what a leash is. They are hunters and they ride in the front seat of truck. They show no sign of acting the way You say "all dogs behave" yet you lump them into a general group as being disobedient...I think you may be the problem....I live by this " if one of my dogs is suspicious of a person, I am Too"...Doubt they would like you.

Totally agree!!!! Its also very odd that you should post a topic like this and yell at people. I have two german shepherds but I can control them. I do get frusterated with some people. But instead I try to HELP them instead of YELL like some people. Maybe you should try to help those people and educate them on how to train their dogs. Some people just don't know how to. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have a dog.....in less someone is at risk of getting hurt. So next time you see someone struggling with there dog at the park go up to them, say hi, introduce yourself and ask if they would like help or tell them you could give them some tips. Don't get so mad! Getting mad doesn't help anything.
thumbsup.gif

Ok, OK, to clear things up:
-I had a vicious, sarcastic tone with this post and I am sorry about that. I wrote this less than 10 minutes after hearing the story about how my favorite hen died, ending with "If you want her we threw her on the dumpster" I was very angry and hurt and needed to rant.
-I did not mean dog owners are worthless. Now, ya all can throw stones ONLY if you've NEVER said something untrue in a moment of pain or anger.
-those of you who feel your dogs would not like me. They may or may not, but what you meant to say is you do not like ME, based on this one post written in a very angry moment. It is unfortunate, but i bet you will continue to judge me based on this one post. sorry if i offended.
-yes, I too am a worthless dog owner, lol. I have a very well mannered dog, NOT trained by me, but by a friend who knew what she was doing. I can care for a dog, but I doubt I could teach a dog to be a good dog.
-being that I am 'un-named', maybe i could change it to 'worthless dog owner' but i get to be the first one!
-some of your were sharp enough to catch the real meaning of my rant... my anger at an owner allowing their dog to run loose on my property and killing my bird. other owners are like this, many are not. I still stand by my opinion that only a percentage of dog owners are in control handlers. By the sound of it, I would like to meet some of your mannered dogs too.
Some of you understood said and pm'd some kind, things for which i am grateful. YOU guys rock.
now, after a long day of physical labor, i do feel better, for what it is worth. I will miss the little white hen i rescued from a pen of sick chickens. I thought she doesn't look sick yet...maybe i can save her, so i took her. She never did contract that disease.
She was the kind of chicken that would peck at stuff and get nearer and nearer, pretending not to notice me, but knowing i would grab her. when i did so, she never fought, but squawked like i was killing her, as if to trick the other chickens into thinking she did not like being held by those pesky humans, yet she would sit quietly on my leg for the longest time. she was a cool little hen.
RIP Slunky
Goodnight All

Quote:
gig.gif

a really good
barnie.gif
always makes me feel better too.
smile.png

Rest well Slunky - over the bridge where there are no predators, the dust bathes have lots of dirt to throw, the insects juicy, grass tender, water fresh n cool and the sun always perfect for a sun nap.

Quote:
I am so sorry you had to lose your favorite little hen to a dog with a stupid inconsiderate human. I will tell you right now what I would have done if they came over and told me 'oh my dog killed one of your chickens, if you want it its in the dumpster'.... Me : *turning red*
somad.gif
Calm Voice "Well your dog was on my property? I will tell you right now the next time your dog is on MY property you won't have to worry about trying to find him, just go look in the dumpster." They want to be offended to that? "Keep your dog on a leash, in your car, in the neighbor's yard, but on my property my animals lives come first and I be darned if I won't shoot ANY dog that doesn't belong here. Thank you and have a good day"
rant.gif
smile.png
I am one of them people who can threatened and be red in the face one second and smile with a sweetly tune in the same sentence...
smile.png

Honestly though make it known that any tresspassing dog = a dead dog. If its legal where you live. If it isn't legal to shoot dogs for harassing livestock (you can always swear the dog scared your chickens if questions get asked XD ) then let it be known if you can catch 'em the owners can pick 'em up and pay their fine at the pound. I've done both many times and will continue to do it because i have more than just chickens to worry about. My neighbors use hunting dogs, and they know if one their dogs goes mucking with the west side of my yard where the chickens and my dogs are, and won't come to me when I call 'em and the neighbors aren't outside looking for the dogs, then those dogs get a lead shot and the body will be nicely returned to their yard. Thats just how it is because they let their dogs loose everyday this time of year and I am not having another one of their dogs kill my chickens or start fights with my dogs in their own yard. no way. One neighbor is exceptionally understanding about this - but his dogs all know me and will come to me when I call them and they see the dog biscuit
smile.png

Good luck!

un-named, i am guilty of judging you by your post. i am very sorry for that. i too have said and done things in grief and anger -- we all have to vent some how. i am so sorry for your loss. when you described slunky you made me smile. mine act the same way (I just can't pick them up). it made me very sad to hear how the dog owners treated her after her death. i would be very angry about that as well.

RIP slunky -- you were loved!

PS: Welcome to BYC. Your future posts will not be judged by me by this post -- oh and keep your name, it is unique.

I read this post when it first got posted. It was the day after I had to have my dog put down. This is a chicken forum, not really a dog forum, so I assumed that the writer needed to rant. It is very, very, very frustrating when we are the victims of other people's negligence. But I needed to ignore it at that time.

You go to a chicken forum for sympathy, you go to a dog forum to yell at dog owners.
I wanted to give you sympathy for losing your chicken, but I was needing sympathy for losing my old dog...who had never killed anything-ever. I read your post, and then had that cry I really needed. But I am not mad at you. I was sad about Sparky. I have lost animals the way you described, and have been spitting mad like you were. It is a human trait, I think. But evolution did not factor in the Internet. We tend to blow up at the people around us. Cyberspace as widened That circle.

Life changes quickly. Life is change. Sometimes the change is drastic (like your chicken), and sometimes we know it is coming (like my old sick dog), but it always changes. Sometimes we need to change friends or change the rules our friends treat us by. Boundaries are important. Don't be a door mat.

How about re entering this forum, new name, new start. Introduce yourself and receive your welcome posts.
This is a fantastic forum, but beware...everything from horses to snowshoes are discussed here. Need a crock for making sauerkraut? it's been discussed! These are fine people here. They have a wonderful sense of humor and are very well informed on a lot of different things. You will enjoy this place and you will be welcomed. I promise.
wink.png
And if you read the rules from the index, there are some wonderful suggestions on how to avoid flaming and trolling.
Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom