Dogs!!!!

this dog had been beaten and starved. he was skin and bones when we rescued him from the shelter. Plus he seems to have been trained as a bird dog because he drops toys at your feet like a bird dog would drop a bird. The biggest problem is unlike our Shep, who couldn't care less about food, this dog is 100 percent driven by food. We can't leave anything down including his food bag or he will eat and eat like a gold fish. That's why I think his problem is primal instinct and its going to be almost impossible to tame. Aside from dressing up in a chicken suit and scaring the crap out of him, I think separation is the only solution. Its just going to be a big pain we should have but didn't expect to have to worry about.

Separation (with back up system to account for possible breach) is the only solution to ensure that your birds will not be attacked, maimed, killed. It will give you, and your birds, peace of mind and be worth it in the long run. Thank you for rescuing your dog. No being should suffer - not dog, not chicken. JJ

You have been an amazing teacher, and/or your dogs amazing learners, but unfortunately most people are not that determined/successful with their training. If failure to obey just meant a ripped seat cushion or stolen oatmeal cookies it would be one thing, but when dogs fail to behave with chickens, it means pain, suffering and often death. To me, the price is too high to allow a breach/unrestricted contact. Especially if a dog has been known to attack at least once before. JJ

Agreed!!

Chaining your dog while your chickens are out in the yard may not be a good idea. Dogs soon learn to lay in wait..... the chicken comes into the chain range and the dog grabs the chicken......

Took my dog 3 days to figure this plan out.

Chaining your dog while your chickens are out in the yard may not be a good idea. Dogs soon learn to lay in wait..... the chicken comes into the chain range and the dog grabs the chicken......

Took my dog 3 days to figure this plan out.

Good point, but it would only be while my wife is outside smoking. That is the only time besides walks when we let them out because they end up barking at the neighbor's dogs which in turn must bark back and we don't want to annoy anybody, which is why we don't want any roosters. If it was just us I would want roosters.

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs I have four dogs, but my coop is outside the shock collar range, but they are so far so good. It's the wild packs of dogs I'm worried about, but I am armed and ready for them. They almost killed the horse next door, I know my girls have no chance. Thus I built a fortress.. While they are busy digging I can take aim. Alll around the fence is 1/2" rebar beat in at an angle from the outside, every six inches. Under my barns, which take up two sides, you can't see it, but there is razor wire. I have tired to think of every angle. Still any pet that is hurt or killed is heart breaking and we learn from our and others mistakes. Thank you for being brave enough to post your loss. :hugs

Good point, but it would only be while my wife is outside smoking.  That is the only time besides walks when we let them out because they end up barking at the neighbor's dogs which in turn must bark back and we don't want to annoy anybody, which is why we don't want any roosters. If it was just us I would want roosters.

Note to self, get roosters to drive the neighbors crazy, (evil laugh):yesss:

Note to self, get roosters to drive the neighbors crazy, (evil laugh)
yesss.gif

I should actually, but I'm a nice guy (sort of)..
love.gif

OP: I feel your pain. Our lab mix got our last sussex yesterday and I am ******! It was a horrible way for that sweet docile bird to die. I didn't find her until late in the day when I was going to put them away b/c it was starting to snow. They were in a run but my 5 year old son didn't shut the door back properly and they got out. The dog got off her lead and I guess felt like having chicken for lunch/dinner. The sussex was my husband's favorite bird. She was his baby. Well, my hubby got home, beat the dog and she's been locked up ever sense. We are looking for a new home for the dog b/c I refuse to have her around my chickens or cats again. She has tasted blood and will only crave it more now. If I had a gun, I would've shot the dog. Period. Don't let this stop you from getting more chickens. Hugs.

Your husband beat the dog for doing what dogs do, and now you want to get rid of the dog. COWARDS beat animals, you ought to look into getting rid of your husband!

Back
Top Bottom