Dogs!!!!

"Beat" is probably a harsh word. He punished the dog. And I totally blame my husband 100% for this happening b/c this was "his" dog and he didn't train it. Took absolutely no time to do anything with the dog. THat is why we are getting rid of it. I would rather get rid of it than have this happen again.

"Beat" is probably a harsh word. He punished the dog. And I totally blame my husband 100% for this happening b/c this was "his" dog and he didn't train it. Took absolutely no time to do anything with the dog. THat is why we are getting rid of it. I would rather get rid of it than have this happen again.
You can not punish a dog after the fact they do not understand why you are hurting them.
I train dogs to stay with poultry and just cause a dog taste blood does not mean it will kill all the time, my dogs get fed culled birds all the time and they do not kill them, i do.

I hope you find a sutible home for the dog it deserves better than what ya'll have done to it.

"His dog"? That's when your problem start... when you get a dog your entire family need to be involved.
thumbsup.gif

When we agreed to get the dog it was the understanding that it was his dog. Just like the cats are "my" responsibility. I don't expect you all to agree or understand our family dynamic. Everyone is different and does things their own ways. My husband took the dog outside, rubbed her face in the dead bird and proceeded to reprimand the dog. It might not be the "right" way to do it to those of you who train dogs, but it's the only thing we know to do. The dog will be given away. I do not want an animal that kills for fun. End of story. Getting back to the OP: I'm sorry for your loss and I hope that you have recovered.

sorry for your los but if your dogs can get to your chickens then thers a problem. my hounds have killed many chickens in the past. so now if my chickens are out then my dogs are in.

Some people and families mesh well and handle dogs properly, happily, and harmoniously. Most do not though, from my experience and what I've seen. A lot of people have dogs that shouldn't have them. Doesn't mean they're bad people and the dogs are bad, but people just gotta be honest with themselves. Dogs need to fit in with the whole family dynamic socially, which is most of a dog's life really. There's feeding and letting it out to pee, but the care, love, and attention is what they need and if the whole entire family isn't in it for that, then the dog will never know where it fits, or even care it seems. And its also my experience that you don't need to be a super trained dog handler and all that to teach a dog boundaries and respect. You just have to be a dog person and a dog family and know your dog.

Dogs are pretty black and white- for them, it is or it isn't. You are or you aren't. Does that make sense? They, like children, mirror the values that they see, feel, and adhere to the ones they learn. This also deals with consistency and reliability. They're also smarter than people give them credit for.

This was one of the first encounters our dog Hank had with ducklings. Hank is a mixed breed something or other Labrador that was bred for loving to mouth birds, putting it nicely. Here, he wants to chomp the duckling, you can see it in his face- and if I had no control over him, he would have without me telling him to. But, I do... and all I'd have to do is give him the word, and he'd chomp it. I watch him outside when my ducks were out there alone, and he'd pay the ducks no mind because he's also accepted that ducks are not for chomping. My inlaws dog that stays with us sometimes, not so much. But I hold that dog on a leash with me and watch him like a hawk when he's here. He can't stand staying with us because I don't spoil him like my inlaws do or let him do whatever he wants... he's not allowed to harm our birds at our home.

Hank does however, pull things out of the open trash can under this computer desk any time we're gone looking for candy or gum that might have ended up in it, that is if I don't remember to put the trash can up on the desk. He usually gives up after the first few pieces of paper he pulls out. So... not perfect, but I know that he won't eat my birds.

There's a lot wrong with this. Most fed/cared for dogs instinctively chase chickens, and kill them incidentally. We have had this happen, and it was terrible and sad, but our fault. It's always the owner's fault, and throwing away the commitment you make by taking a dog into your home because of it is irresponsible. Take responsibility first, then decide what is best for your household and family.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom