Dogs

sad about the lost chicken, and having to shoot the dog.

if it's going to be war, and if the fence is yours (not the neighbors) I'd bill them for the repairs and your time. and the damage to your coop. and your chicken. small claims court is effective.

in MO, if the fence is shared property and one person is responsible for damage or failure to repair, they're liable for all resulting damages to livestock and property. don't know how that works where you live.

personally, I'm big on the SSS plan - makes it less likely to have to go to war.

another alternative I didn't see mentioned is stringing a couple of lines of hotwire on the inside of the fence where they're coming through... dogs hit that, you may not have to lose chickens or shoot the dog. I'd probably do this before the next repair - then fix the fence. just get the biggest charger you can. basically you want one that will knock them on their behinds and make their eyes water. one experience like that usually solves it. don't get the solar charger, they usually don't have enough punch - a plug in one with a 5 or more mile range would probably work.

A long long time ago I was the Town Marshal of a small town Police Department.

Very difficult to prove who owned the "roaming at large" dog(s). No tax tag, no information on collars or suspected Owner denies the dog was theirs. And when the Complainant doesn't want to press charges for fear of reprisal, our hands were tied.

County Humane Society wouldn't respond to "running loose" calls. BUT they would provide live animal traps and pickup captured dogs. So we started catching as many as we could. AND if the Owner went to pick up their dog(s) from the Humane Society they had to pay a collection and feeding fee
smile.png

So what I'd suggest is to get a live animal trap (buy one or see if the local Humane Society will provide one).

Catch the offending dog. DO NOT try and locate or notify the Owner!

Have the Humane Society come and collect the captured dog. DO NOT tell the Humane Society who you "think" owns the dog(s).

IF your neighbor complains to you about his dog missing, look them straight in the face and say, "Oh! There was a dog that the Humane Society picked up that was after my chickens. I hope it wasn't yours."
smile.png

The laws very from state to state. Criminally you my not be liable but Civilly you might. If I did shoot a stray dog, I would NOT post it on a public forum. I would not tell anyone. I'd obey the S.S.S. rules (Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up).

Delivering the carcase to the Owner's front step did prove a point but in all probability will start a war. Like you nonexistent Rooster crowing.

Last edited:
around here the humane society doesn't pick up. you can drop off, but that'll cost you $30.
sad.png

Quote:
What is their recommendation on handling captured stray dogs?

big old shoulder shrug on that one.
hmm.png
"nothing we can do, we don't have funding. you can keep it if you like."
but the sherrif will point out that it's legal to shoot them if you or your livestock is under attack. quote: "just mind where you're shooting and where your neighbors are."

Quote:

big old shoulder shrug on that one.
hmm.png
"nothing we can do, we don't have funding. you can keep it if you like."
but the sherrif will point out that it's legal to shoot them if you or your livestock is under attack. quote: "just mind where you're shooting and where your neighbors are."

it occured to me at the time that the sherrif was telling me "do what you need to, just don't make me have to come out there..."
roll.png

What makes it worse is that I was recently given an "Ameraucana" rooster who had been shot in the foot by a woman who had been trying to make dinner out of him but didn't quite know how to humanely kill him. So he ended up on my doorstep bleeding to death and when I asked the lady next door she said that I could keep him. The funny part is that, even after all that complaining that my invisible "rooster" was crowing, now that I actually have one, he hasn't even noticed.

Quote:

We have an AC that will pick up, but they are only open a few hours a week. If the dog has a collar or looks well-fed or shows ANY sign that it might have a home somewhere, then they won't take it. Why? because they don't take owned dogs! There is a Humane Society that will take owner turn-ins, but you have to sign paperwork saying that you own the dog and pay a $75 fee. Oh, and there is a 6 month waiting list.
So, here, the recommendation if you have a problem with a stray is that you call them if it shows up and hope that they are open and not out on another call. If they are closed and the dog is harassing livestock, AC recommends that you shoot it. They recommend that you never try to catch a stray dog.

Back
Top Bottom