Doin' Da Butt!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RevLouM, Jun 11, 2011.

1. RevLouM

RevLouM New Egg

May 7, 2011
    No! Not the old 80's dance song!

My wife Debbie came in from the final check of the henhouse, including this years thirty meat birds. SOMETHING has gotten in there and evidently torn at the "part that goes over the fence last". They "seem" to be "okay", but there's blood staining on their feathers...

I THINK, from the way I read the posts here that it's a weasel. We did kill a 6-8 inch ermine this past January...

Any further input?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

I just had to click when I saw that title. I guess it shows how old I am. [​IMG]

I really can offer any advise on weasels because we don't have them here. I am glad your birds are ok though. [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

The only way to stop a ermine or weasel is 1/2 inch wire on all sides, top, and floor. Then set traps, a rat trap is usually strong enough to break their back and kill them instantly

4. RevLouM

RevLouM New Egg

May 7, 2011
    Quote:Aye, that's how we got the first one!

We have traps ALL around the coop, maybe we can get them before they do any "serious" damage...The wife said that, other than being a little spooky this mornng, none of them seem to be any the worse for the wear. A good thing, as they only have another fortnight before they take up residence in the freezer....

(Taz....gotcha!)

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] So far knock on wood I havent had any problems like that. Hope you catch the little bugger.

6. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

You got my attention with your title. Guess I was busy surviving when that dance was came around. [​IMG] About your "attacks". Rats will also go after the vulnerable back end of hens. They will come back again and again until the chicken is finally is finished. It's also hard to keep them out. Our small henhouse has cement floors and hardware cloth over windows so no problem there. Good luck. I hope you solve this problem. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by