Doin' the washing machine!!

peepsandquacks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Lately when I am cleaning out the duck brooder (now a HUGE dog crate because they are monsterous in size) I put my 2 ducks into the bathtub with about 2 inches of warm water. I finished the crate, and went to check on them and they were running around in full circles, face down in the water, chasing each other and splashing water everywhere!
It looked like they were in a washing machine going around and around! Anyone elses ducks do this? It was too funny, and I wish I took video of it!
Then they dip their heads in the water and fling it onto their backs and do a shimmy so the water runs down.

The water has been beading off their back when they are in the water, does this mean the oil glands are working? Their tummys and necks still get wet, their back is still dry, even after the washing machine. I wish they could get totally soaked, because everymorning they are nasty dirty from a days worth of poopin'.

BTW- ducks are 3.5w

Last edited:
Once they get into deeper water, they turn into submariners. They will swim UNDERWATER completely around their pool, tank, or bathtub. I love watching them.
love.gif

at 3 1/2 weeks they are old enuff for deeper water.. they DO need to beable to submerge and clean their phhhoo phhhho offf LOL
just supervise and use common sense. Mine swam in a big rubbermaid tub til they were old enuff to go in their pen. THEY LUV to swim underwater. Just be ready to do some heavy laughing !!!!!

I gave them another bathtub bath today and did what you said, and OMG they LOVED it!!! They dove under the water and took off swimming like a torpedo!Now they are all fluffy and clean in their kennel.

Back
Top Bottom