doing a coop from a boat trailer..so can take flock to other home if wanted to overnight or few days

finally found  and ordered corrugated aluminum for the roofing.  that and found the heavy fiberglass corrugated too. One piece of that may use it on roof for more light...The aluminum special ordered was $3.75 a lineal foot.. Only avaliable in mill finish.. without waiting for it.wanted WHITE....
 had factory cut it in 4 foot lenghts... the aluminum is "patterened or pebbly looking"....Panels are 38 inches wide.. so when lapped make 3 feet wide.. Lighter but bit more expensive than corrugated steel....
 Company is"Metal Sales" "   located in  Indiana...  had to order thru a distrubtor.. .and they transferred it a bit closer....
Would like to put in on outside too. but dont know how those windows we have would work.. since the windows are rv or camper or topper type units....
 need more suggestions.... may or may not take them. BUT will read them.....
Prob will have to use aluminum coil stock to cover outside....vinyl siding prob would not work....

This suggestion may be too late (just found your post about aluminum), but sometimes you can find derelict junk RV's/ travel trailers that are free, cheap you can get parts out/off of....Windows, doors, aluminum eats., (C-list, etc) great way to get a good trailer frame too for anybody still looking....

yeah tried that.. for a long time asked on "tradio"
but the couple who was giving away a FREE truck camper the windows were already gone.. was arfaid to approach it. Hubby was scare it was full of whatever.... and it was back in the woods far from the road. Looked like "DEliverance" movie set.....
we did find FREE four brand new windows from church thrift store and two used ones. You can see the outline of them in the picture so far... the other two are bigger and more "square" and the other one bought used from the same guy who sold old used RV door is a rectangle....
a guy has some more for sale on CL... like 50 miles away... so far to go...
now what to use for the 'chicken door" ???

you mean for the chicken door? Hubby di d the first coop with two door.. One solid cedar and the 2nd one for warmer weather in cedar framed with hdwe cloth center..
Somwhere we have several old license plates.... It would look neat to have the sides covered with old license plates...... but it would take lots and lots.... I should have asked, if they the mfg,.... had aluminum sheets w/o the corrugation. yeah, I know about coil stock on a roll but its only 24 inches wide.......
prob a decade or so ago we found a place that had some aluminum sheets added to a thin plywood type material....
Later we inquired and they were sold out.....
prob gonna have to take several to a vet and try to find out what is wrong with my flock... I feel like Baby Girl is dying....slowly

Oh that's not good! Have you gone on the emergencies / diseases / injuries and cures forum yet to ask for help? There are a lot of very knowledgable people who monitor that section pretty closely for new posts requesting help.....
Well the door sounds like something you'll have to figure out from what's available in your area. But License plates do look awesome as awnings over Windows and doors.....I don't have enough either tho. :/

Yes I asked several times but cant get a defintive answer.. since the 1 and 1/2 yr old have peeling skin esp on their bellies.. and losing weight... now couple have explosive occ diaherre...artly too in that set.
yes, but not sure,, see white stuff on outside of feathers but isnt that dander? Plus looks like scaley legs is a startin.....they prob have those tiny tiny microcopic mites.....
cause the previous set of 2yr old had scaley legs and i was such a newbie....I had just started treating them when I gave them away.. that first set of Orphs...

Last edited:
more pics so far SHOULD we INSULate? Hubby asked me before he skinned it> He is using aluminum coil stock. woodgrain finish which is a smelly pvc coating..CLAY colored...So far he has drilled holes under the eave board with hardware cloth under
STILL trying to find more RV windows
NEED more suggestions please.....just wish it be done so I can get them all in ONE coop...CAuse the younger girls are crowed in small tractor coop at nite...
still thinking about chicken door and nestboxes.. so far have 8 windows 2 of them dont match the others...sigh...

Yeah know its crooked but did not want to waste the plywood .....to the right side is the shape of the other four windows, I call them trapazoid shaped.They are slider type.... THey are new....... Someone must have had them in their barn or something. Cause they were still tie wrapped in a plastic frames.... Someone dropped them off at the local church thrift store The four windows plus the 2 used rectangular ones...they sat there for a while outside.
Finally asked thrift store.. They said I could have them. wow.....
.As usual,.... I leave a donation of more than I spend there for the church.
. BE so nice to find more of the rectangular ones, they crank out..
Found some MORE on Craigs List, but over 50 miles away. Time I called the C List person again, he had already sold the smaller windows. The Craigs list person only has ones that are too long to go in beteen the studs...
Also I dislike the plywood cause of offgassing. would like to have used natural boards. But that gives more places for mites etc to hide ....Correct?
Should we skin inside? I know it would make it heavier to move around.....
floor... besides plywood???? chicken door????? prob elow the back window on either side..??? cause the front has the trailer TONGUE and the people door.
I am Gonna stuff aluminum screen in the ribs of the ALUMINUM corrugated roofing.. sure wish we could have put the first coop on wheels too...

Below under the eave with hdw cloth then a board with large holes drilled in nd sceed tightly down
Oh what kind of program do I need for this Mac computer to insert arrows etc into a picture I am posting?

II
I didnt have a way to add an arrow to this picture. so I had to download a free Mac "Paintbrush" program. and I am still learning how to use it
Like I mentioned above posting....... SOFFITS...underneath large holes 1 1/4 inches HOLES drilled but covered over with hdwe cloth... like in the last pics and PLUS the whole roof ridge.........
Plus each rib on the aluimunum roof... roof is "open" but will prob be stuffed with strong aluminum screening rolled up or hdwe cloth wedge there. so far it has 3 windows installed. Hubby pulled it out of the garage today finally. I should have taken a pic before it got dark.
Now thinking about type and placement of the chicken door. thinking about an old aluminum doggie door .. that is on our (bought used) front storm door but I much prefer to find a stainless or aluminum"cabinet" door and frame.. I like good sealing stuff
Lost some time waiting for butyl putty tape(ordered from Rv place in Texas) to arrive and a special sealant caulk to seal outside edges of windows. Only regular putty tape available locally .the butyl ype tape goes on the outside lip of the windows plus Hubby put a Pella brand weatherstripping type around all the plywood edges....before windows installed...
I prob will put acrylic polyurethane on the plywood floor. then prob big rubber mats
Plus the people door has a slide up window. will be reinforced with hdwe cloth where that sceen is.... we have 2 more of those trapzoid shaped windows and one more nice one like in the pic. Plus bought some long Three 48 inch trapzoid shaped sliding windows Saturday . The gentleman had more of the 48 inch sliders but the stud spacing in several walls are like 36 and 31 inches.........so not to waste plywood we had
Plus 2 more odd ball unmatching rectanular looking rv windows. older style..
rv windows hard to find locally... CList makes it easier..I .put in a "want ad" on CList last week. Total of 8 windows so far... like to have "solar gain"
now thinking about type of roost and poop bd and placement of. prob several movable units....
wish would have splken up and insulated the plywood outside befor Hubby installed the aluminum sides. just wish wasnt so much wood inside more places for crawling creatures to hide....
also the "trim" corners are up too.
My fav window is the back one on the pic above it cranks out.. the other WINDOWS slide. More dirt can collect in those sliding grooves.....
I much prefer solid wood bds.over plywood.. cause of offgassing. But 1 by 6s or 8 or 12"s leave more gaps for mites to hide.......correct?
Like I mentioned before if this chicken adventure fails it will be a great portable shed....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom