Domestic dispute/Bumblefoot or not?? PIC!!

NattyK

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
6736_0716002106.jpg

Sorry this pic is sort of blurry, the roo wasn't cooperating. This round lump is VERY hard and about 1/4 inch raised. We have a dispute over whether this is bumblefoot. What do you think? Bumblefoot or not? I say 99.9 percent positive yes. My partner isn't so sure. The roo also has very infected hocks which we have been treating with Pen G and they look better. (I believe the hocks are related to this bumble). We had planned on surgery-if everyone agrees it IS bumblefoot, but now I think we will try soaking first. Chime in with your opinions!! Thanks!

Bumblefoot 100%. You need to take care of this ASAP before the infection goes deep to the bone, then you're looking at culling the rooster because no amount of antibiotics will save him.

Thanks Dawg..vindication...We have been treating with PenG for six days. Like I said his hocks are much better. Do you think we should do surgery? The lump is extremely hard, not sure how much help soaking will be, but willing to try it first. If we do surgery where would you cut? Do we cut from the side? On an angle down? Just around the "scab"? Thanks for your input! Also, should we switch to a different antibiotic? We are doing injections now.

I'd keep doing the injections. Soak in warm salt water or epsom salt for at least 20 minutes, wear plastic gloves. Try squeezing first prior to cutting the scab. Soaking should soften it up, so squeeze it hard. If squeezing fails, use an exacto knife or razor blade to cut off the black scab. Use tweezers to dig the pus out, soak some more and squeeze. You want all the pus out. You'll need to flush the hole with weak iodine solution or betadine, then pack with triple antibiotic or neosporin without pain killer. Place a guaze over the hole and use duct tape for a wrap. (not too tightly) Change dressing the next day and repeat soaking and squeezing if necessary.Repack with neosporin and gauze,wrap it up again. When squeezing,use paper towel to wipe away blood so you can see what you're doing.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawg we have all those supplies on hand! Thanks..if anyone else wants to put in their two cents worth go ahead. I will take pics and post if we do the surgery.

Yep bumble foot. do the soak and surgery before it gets worse. I had to cull my hen due to not catching the infection soon enough. If you do not get the bumble foot out the antibiotics will not help because it will keep coming back. Soak for 20 minutes, then try and peel off the scab then use tweezers to get the bumble out squeeze to make sure all the puss is out, put on neosporine on it and iodine on the gauze and wrap using duct tape, that way it will stay on and they can be with the flock. I did one hens foot and did a double bumblefoot on a another hen. The duct tape works great. I followed dawg53's advice. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom