Dominant Hen or Rooster?

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Our hens began laying recently- with some help from a light on a timer- but I've noticed some odd behavior from our EE chicken. (S)he is mounting the other hens and making a lot of noise. She's never crowed like a rooster although I've noticed one of our sliver laced wyandottes is missing some tail feathers, which was what was happening to our silver laced cochin when we found out we had a Sebright rooster in the flock. This EE chicken hasn't been seen laying or sitting on any eggs although (s)he likes to mess with the other chicken's eggs once they lay and then move off the egg. She is also very curious when the other chickens are laying.

Is the mounting behavior just the actions of a dominant hen or do I have an EE rooster?

Thanks in advance-

How old is the EE?

My EE's laid very late..... 8 months!

I have a hen that regularly mounts the other hens as a sign of dominance.

If its a roo, you see the deed get done.... and if it's over 20 weeks old, you'll soon start to hear crowing if it's a roo.

Our EE was born in May, so she is definitely over 20 weeks of age and no crowing, just a lot of regular chicken talk especially when I go outside and call to all of them, she is usually the one that is the loudest.

It must be that she is dominant then- thanks so much for the information and I'll be looking for her first egg.

Back
Top Bottom