Top Hen behaving like a rooster

Farmgirl805

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Ventura, CA
I have a 8 yr old EE who decided to be a rooster a few years ago and started to crow. She and the other 2 remaining original hens hadn’t been laying for several years, they were just living out their retirement years. Since that time, last summer we introduced 5 new pullets that began laying this last January. Shortly thereafter, my EE and my Black Australorp began to lay again and the crowing stopped. BUT now that same top EE is now mounting my blue Cochin, who is bottom of the pecking order. I don’t see a tremendous amount of bullying from my fake rooster, just the occasional reminder of whose boss. But the mounting is new.
We are about to integrate 4 new pullets again in the next week or so, so I wanted to ask in advance for help or suggestions.

I looked thru the other threads and didn’t see any info that matches my situation so figured I reach out for help/ ideas. Thank you!

As a kid we had a hen that would resort to mounting other hens to maintain dominance. The rooster didn't appreciate it and would intervene from time to time, but she never caused as many problems as he himself did being rough with the hens!

I'd just watch to make sure the mounting and bullying doesn't cause physical harm or undue stress on the particular hens or pullets she targets. If it is too much, I'd isolate her a while so she can see/be seen but not pester anyone until everyone else is well integrated, especially as you are bringing in new birds. With time she might settle a bit, but her hormones may just mean you have to work around rooster-ish behavior the same as roostered flocks do with saddles, periodic separation, etc.

Back
Top Bottom