Domingo the duck has a hurt leg

hhassall

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hello everybody. I am a new member, but have used this site and information for quite awhile now. This site has an awesome collection of helpful information.
We own a male mallard/muscovie cross who is about a year old. He is our pet and many would consider him to be spoiled. He was playing with our dog this morning and she accidentally stepped on him. When he walked away from her he was limping on his right side. We checked for broken bones or a displaced joint, but did not find any. He doesn't seem to be in a great deal of pain... he still swims, eats, drinks...etc, but when he walks it looks like his leg is sticking at the joint. It just stays kind of straight from the top down. He can move it at his knee joint when he swims but it sticks and is straight when hes walking. Sorry if this isn't making too much sense but its sort of hard to describe.
What can I do for him? I plan on confining him to a small area, for the next week or at least until I can see an improvement, so he can't walk around too much and irritate the injury. Should I give him anything for pain? Any guesses on what the injury might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hannah

I tried the website you linked by it said I needed permission to access the page. I will read up on slipped tendon and I greatly appreciate the information. We put him in our dogs kennel last night and hes still pretty stiff this morning. (Please note that we have a great dane and her kennel is 4 feet by 3 feet, so hes not crammed in there just sitting down for hours upon end. He can walk around if he wants to.) I still don't see any swelling. Its hard for us to tell if it hurts when we touch it because he bites us most of the time even if hes not in any pain haha. We did massage it and he didn't seem any worse or better from it. Ill keep updating as things happen. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom