Dominique getting fatter but not taller - stands all the time - help!

nofarmer

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
I noticed my 4 week old Dominique hen acting sickly 4-5 days ago. She is half the size of the other hens but she does have some of her feathers coming in. She's looking very round but not getting any taller. I've seen her eat but not drink the water that I've put some antibiotics in. If she's not eating she stands under the heat lamp without moving - I've not seen her lay down in 4 or 5 days.
We isolated her about 3 weeks ago because her vent was pasty and swollen. We had one chick die right before we noticed dominques swollen vent - we figured she had caught whatever that one had. Took her out of isoloation after 3 days when she seemed healthier.

any ideas?

Hum....? What are you feeding them? Chick starter?
Did you clean her butt off? Clean her poopy backside?
I don't know what it could be... with young chicks it's hard to say, at least for me.

How about -- if the antibiotics are finished... add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water... maybe a capful to a quart of water (1/2 tsp. or less)... see if they will drink that. (I am thinking you may be using the quart size waterer... it can be 1 Tablespoon per gallon, but it seems my hens (full grown) object a bit if I get too heavy with the ACV.

Also.. mix some yogurt into some of the chick starter.. make a little mash ... or you can use a little buttermilk. Both yogurt and buttermilk are probiotics and will help with intestinal health -- especially with or after antibiotics.

Maybe hand feed a little scrambled eggs with yogurt in it as well (I don't cook the yogurt... so as not to kill the probiotic effect), I add it after cooling.

Oh, you might want to check and gently massage her crop... rub her crop a little a few times a day, just in case it's impacted a bit or sour.

Good luck with your babies.

Thanks!

I'll give the ACV a try. I put some oil down her with a syringe and massaged her crop - but I don't think that's the issue. We're putting her in isolation again with no food and ACV water - let's hope she makes it thru the night.

We tried to make her vomit with the baking soda and water mixture - it was kind of scary and didn't work. I think it just stressed her out.

I'm feeding them just chicken starter and chick grit. We've been clearing off the vent. It doesn't seem to open up as much when you blow on it like the rest of the healthy chicks' vents. Her poop has been white and runny.

Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom