Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Large numbers to compensate for lots of crap! Improvement will require I am consistent in the selection process. Presently my stock is out bred and will require some refining more than you have to do if all your birds sourced from same breeder.

2. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are 2nd and 3rd generation mixed hatchery... now a closed flock. It's kind of fun. I did get eggs from NYred... presently in the incubator. If I get a successful hatch, I'll establish another small breeding flock... I have had bad luck with shipped eggs in the past.

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Photo of the start of our Dominique Flock

[​IMG]

Any guesses on genders? I think at least 3 pullets....

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA

5. flitter

The head spots are indicators in some strains... works for mine but I can't tell from these pictures.
    The male head spot is usually larger and more scattered than the one on the female. The female's tends to be small and more compact.

6. wsmith

Going by spots, overall shading and leg color, I think we have 4 pullets and 6 cockerels. Of course, I could be way off.....[​IMG]

7. flitter

Sounds about right. Someone else must get better than 50-50 because I usually end up with lots of cocks and less pullets.

8. wsmith

Here's a shot from the top. I have a red light in the brooder, so I tookout most of the color to get better markings visibility. Still not a great shot though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Hatched 5 Dominiques over the weekend. I'm starting to panic. Looks like all boys.

10. wsmith

The oldest of our Dom chicks is WAY bigger than the rest. Weird. The girls have started calling him Shrek..... We have (I think) 3 cockerals and 3 pullets. Hatchery chicks have shipped this morning.
    I tell them not to get too attached, as he may not make the cut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by