Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Dominique Club of America 2012 National Meet
    Oklahoma State Poultry Show
    Shawnee, Oklahoma -- December 8th-9th, 2012

Dominique Club of America 2013 National Meet
    PPBA Annual Winter show -- ABA National
    Stockton, California -- January 26th-27th, 2013

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA

3. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I got 14 females out of 29 hatched this spring. Not too bad!

4. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning I went out to check on the chicks before work. As I put my hand on the edge of the brooder, one of those disgusting miller moths we get here in Colorado this time of year fell off and fell into the brooder. The largest of the chicks, a cockerel my kids are calling Shrek, caught it and started a game of keep away with the other chicks before he ate it. Way entertaining.

Funny about these Dominique chicks; they would rather scratch and peck for food than eat from the feeder. So I put a handfull of crumbles on the floor of the brooder, which has a 2 inch layer of shavings, and it keeps them busy for hours.
    We all know that Dominiques are known for their foraging prowess, and some claim that they consume 50% less feed than their other breeds because they are so good at foraging.

5. 6lilhens

6lilhens New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I have an 18 mo old Dominique Hen that is at least a 5 day a week layer. She is a wonderful pet! I just love her. Her best friend is a Rhode Island Red, they are inseparable !!

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Last chance at some of my Dominique eggs. I had some ready for someone who changed their mind. I have 23 eggs that were laid in the last 3 days. I can ship them tomorrw if someone pays via Paypal before then First come, first served. PM me if interested. I'll check my PMs later.
    I have one more order to fill next week then the Dominique flock is going to it's new home.

7. happymomal

happymomal New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    I have 20 or so Dominique birds that are around 10 weeks old. I have a suspicion of which ones are the males, but they don't have tail feathers yet. Is there a certain age in which they typically get their tail feathers?

8. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I have a uestion for you all.

Is there such thing as a single combed Dominique?

I keep hearing that people are breeding in single combed birds to increase the fertility of their lines.

Are they crossing in single combed Dominiques or some other breed, like Barred Plymouth Rocks?

Just wondering since I haven't heard of single combed Dominiues before.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    To happymomal,

Listen to their voices, especially when startled. Also look closely at bars on feathers. If you have males and females, then based on rhe ratio of dark to light bar length you should be able to devide brood into to groups. If yes then ask further questions.

Sumatra503,

Historically, prior to advent of the barred Plymouth Rock, dominiques could be either rose of single comb. After development of the barred rock, the ideal dominique had a rose comb. Rose comb is dominant to single comb making latter a little more difficult, although far from impossible to breed out. Some parties have suggested birds with single combs were allowed to persist owing fertility related reasons as you remarked. Two other sources for single combs remain. First is the occasional crossing with barred rocks and the other is mutation.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There is no such variety of "American" Dominique that has a Single Comb and IMO there just breeding cross bred's.
    If there having a fertility problem with there Dominique then they should look into a better breeding practice.

Chris

Last edited: May 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by