Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. M3Farms

M3Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Western NC Mtns
    I tried your suggestions for feeding treats to my roo. First I stood at the door and tossed the meal worms in the direction of the hens. They got the idea and soon were standing on my toes to get the treats. The roo was a little more standoffish, and when I pitched a mealworm his way, he seemed to point it out to one of the hens. Finally, I got him to come close. Instead of dropping the treat at my feet, I held it in my hand towards him. He completely ignored the treat and flew at my hand, talons first.

The good news is that the last two times I have entered their pen, he has left me alone. I consider that an improvement. I will have to offer the treats on a random basis, and I expect that will help him see me in a better light. Thanks for the suggestion!

2. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I have 4 1/2 week olds. They're a bit spazzo too, but we make them let us hold them. They're starting to come around! I think one might be a rooster though :( :( we don't want any roosters. I posted pictures in the what breed or gender category. I can't wait to see how they grow, I'm pretty excited! well, I hope I don't have to get rid of the potential rooster :( I hope it is a fluke and it is really female LOL

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Got my Dom hatching eggs from Suzette Ellington into the incubator this afternoon!

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I have three hatchery quality dominiques. They are all about 28 weeks old. Two are about identical in size, the other one is only about half their size. Could it be that I have two LF and one Bantam? How much smaller are bantams than LF? I have no recent pics with them side by side but I'll try to line them up and take a pic for comparison. In the meantime any input is welcome.

5. wsmith

Well, candled the eggs this morning while still dark. Out of 18 in the incubastor, it appears that 14 are developing, not sure on the other 4. I'll candle again in a few days.
    [​IMG]

6. LibertyRoo

LibertyRoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Homestead/Redland Fl.
    I also got some eggs from Suzette, will be candling in a few days. I also have my fingers crossed.[​IMG]

7. wsmith

Cool!
    when did you put your in the bator? Mine went in on the 14th.

8. LibertyRoo

Apr 9, 2011
    Homestead/Redland Fl.
    Mine went in on the 20th. Really hoping to get a more than a few to hatch out. [​IMG]

9. LibertyRoo

Apr 9, 2011
    Homestead/Redland Fl.
    This is TJ and some of the hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. wsmith

Very nice!