Dominique Thread!

Could go either way - usually the hen's combs and wattles don't turn really red until they are a few weeks older. I have had some roosters combs start to redden when as young as 5 weeks, while some take 8-12 weeks.

His comb is very red and his waddles are already coming in... Is this typically for a rooster, the waddles to be coming in at 6 weeks or can this happen for a hen too? Also what age do they start to get their spurs?

Last I talked to Craig Russel, about a month ago, he told me he had stopped raising Dominiques in large quanities & for sale in 1999. He has since concentrated on saving the Dorkings.
As far as sexing goes, a cockerel's legs are light, a pullet's dark from day one. I have looked and never seen any correlation between head spots and sex, but it could very well be my strain.

Does anyone here know if Craig Russel still breeds white Dominiques?

Hello all! I know this is a fan page of sorts for Dominiques, and I don't want to incite a riot, but I am wondering about Dominiques personality. I recently hatched Dominique chicks from a reputable breeder, and they are NOT nice! I have had (now and in the past) Araucana, Marans, Buckeye, Turken, Sussex, among other breeds of chicks, and while these other chicks are suspicious of humans, they do accept attention and affection without fear. They are calm and personable. The Dominique chicks act like the sky is falling if I even go near the brooder! They hate to be held and scream bloody murder if you try to touch them, even running and jumping like crazy wild birds to get away. They act more like guinea keets than chickens. Their personalities are anything but endearing. Is this typical of the breed? What are their general personality traits? Please don't be offended... although I know I would be if someone said something about my beloved Araucana and Sussex!

Quote:
Hello all! I know this is a fan page of sorts for Dominiques, and I don't want to incite a riot, but I am wondering about Dominiques personality. I recently hatched Dominique chicks from a reputable breeder, and they are NOT nice! I have had (now and in the past) Araucana, Marans, Buckeye, Turken, Sussex, among other breeds of chicks, and while these other chicks are suspicious of humans, they do accept attention and affection without fear. They are calm and personable. The Dominique chicks act like the sky is falling if I even go near the brooder! They hate to be held and scream bloody murder if you try to touch them, even running and jumping like crazy wild birds to get away. They act more like guinea keets than chickens. Their personalities are anything but endearing. Is this typical of the breed? What are their general personality traits? Please don't be offended... although I know I would be if someone said something about my beloved Araucana and Sussex!

Spend more time around your brooder so that they get used to you. Also, offer them feed and snacks right from the palm of your hand (just lay your hand in the brooder palm up and let them come to you). Be patient with them and you'll win them over.

As a chick, our dom was similar to your group, but once she figured out that the huge freakish things were a food source that wouldn't hurt her, she was one of the mildest. She still one of the easiest to pick up and handle, and once you have her, you can balance her in one hand and she won't struggle. She's also one of the craftiest in our flock, often tag teaming with our BA to undermine and flip larger rocks in search of bugs.

Every bird is different, though.
idunno.gif

We do spend alot of time near the brooder, and my kids even watch TV with the chicks. In my house chicks are more like kittens than chickens! Even on the couch when the other chicks are snuggling into somebody's neck, the Doms are looking around like wild birds, skittish and ready to pounce out of there as fast as they can. Too funny! I will give them a shot and continue to try to win them over. They don't like the egg yolk I cook for them (the other chicks do), so I will try mealworms next. They are the oddest batch of babies, I swear!

Although... The reason I picked them in the first place is because I have heard good things about how well Dom roosters protect their flock, especially from hawks, so maybe I DON'T want to make them calm and happy, rather I SHOULD keep them on their toes!

We do spend alot of time near the brooder, and my kids even watch TV with the chicks. In my house chicks are more like kittens than chickens! Even on the couch when the other chicks are snuggling into somebody's neck, the Doms are looking around like wild birds, skittish and ready to pounce out of there as fast as they can. Too funny! I will give them a shot and continue to try to win them over. They don't like the egg yolk I cook for them (the other chicks do), so I will try mealworms next. They are the oddest batch of babies, I swear! Although... The reason I picked them in the first place is because I have heard good things about how well Dom roosters protect their flock, especially from hawks, so maybe I DON'T want to make them calm and happy, rather I SHOULD keep them on their toes!

I have had Dominques for the past year. I too purchased them because the roosters are supposed to be wonderful at protecting their hens. In the last three weeks, my rooster has decided that I am a danger to his hens and is now attacking me everytime I go into their pen. RedDrgn, I will try your idea about hand feeding him meal worms and hope that it works!

We do spend alot of time near the brooder, and my kids even watch TV with the chicks. In my house chicks are more like kittens than chickens! Even on the couch when the other chicks are snuggling into somebody's neck, the Doms are looking around like wild birds, skittish and ready to pounce out of there as fast as they can. Too funny! I will give them a shot and continue to try to win them over. They don't like the egg yolk I cook for them (the other chicks do), so I will try mealworms next. They are the oddest batch of babies, I swear! Although... The reason I picked them in the first place is because I have heard good things about how well Dom roosters protect their flock, especially from hawks, so maybe I DON'T want to make them calm and happy, rather I SHOULD keep them on their toes!

Well, if they're being skittish about being handled, then just stick with being around the brooder (so they see and get used to you) and only offering them treats. Don't try to pick them up, because it'll just make them spookier and more wary of you. Let them come to you, and for food, they will! Also, our chicks were absolute SNOBS when it came to food. The only things they like were eating their usual feed from ours hands and pieces of canteloup. They wouldn't touch anything else until they were around 5-6 months.
I have had Dominques for the past year. I too purchased them because the roosters are supposed to be wonderful at protecting their hens. In the last three weeks, my rooster has decided that I am a danger to his hens and is now attacking me everytime I go into their pen. RedDrgn, I will try your idea about hand feeding him meal worms and hope that it works!

Also, keep an eye on his behavior (and especially on yours) when you're around him. Figure out what you're doing that he's construing as a threat/rival move. Approaching him with his favorite foods is always a good idea; no rooster or threat is ever going to offer him food.
wink.png

I have to echo the advice given so far, my Dom chicks are little freaks if you move too fast around them or if you grab them too much, but they will climb all over me for snacks. In my experience, they go through a stage of being total freaks like that, but if you keep spending time with them they end up being the sweetest of the flock. My very first Dom was very shy when she was a little chick, but after about 16 weeks she had figured out that being friends with the humans got her all the best snacks. Now she's always the first to walk right up to you, and she loves to stand right behind me when I pull weeds in the garden because she knows she gets first crack at the worms and bugs I unearth in the process. But it's also true that individuals vary, so who knows, maybe you just got a batch of extra scaredy chicks? Give them a chance, and let us know how they turn out?

Back
Top Bottom