Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    The very early 1900s were a hard time for the Dominique - breeders were torn between the larger type fowl closer to the plymouth rock body size and the original more medium sized birds. Traditionalists won out and convinced the APA to change the standard to fit the more medium sized birds with 7lb cock birds.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    So, another question about the dominiue standard.

They absolutely aren't supposed to have a Beard and Muffs, right?

I have a little one from a batch of Dom chicks that i'm certain is an americauna cross. It is, however barred and does have a rose comb.

I am, of course, joking with my question. Just thought it was interesting how many of the traits were passed on.

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Been quiet on this thread for a while...

Ran across this in some light reading....

From the journals of the Lewis and Clarke expedition.

Capt. Lewis, March 3, 1806--The large black and white
    pheasant is peculiar to that portion of the Rocky Mountain watered
    by the Columbia river. ................... the feathers of the body are of a dark
    brown black and white. the black is that which predominates, and
    white feathers are irregularly intermixed with those of the black
    and dark brown on every part, but in greater proportion about the
    neck breast and belley. this mixture gives it very much the

appearance of that kind of dunghill fowl which the henwives of our
    country call dommanicker (Domanique)..................... (Bold added)

1 person likes this.
  4. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    AWWWW, thats downright mean. Mine are pretty sweet birds. First ones I've had that will hop up on my lap all on their own just to see whats going on. I like em. Got 16, 2 are cockerels.

5. wsmith

Not meant to be mean, but as an early description of Doms from 1806. Capt Lewis used the Domineckers to decsribe the spruce grouse, because it was familiar to him, and probably would be to most of the future readers. Domineckers were very common, and it appears that they were frequently refferred to as Dunghill fowl, probably due to the fact that they hung out on the compost piles eating bugs and seeds commonly found there.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Sounds a lot like the description I have read on the Chukar.

Chukar (Alectoris chukar)
    Identification: This species is the size of a large quail, but has strongly barred black and white flanks and a white throat and face, surrounded by a black band.
    The repeated chuck or chuck-or call is a good fieldmark. Normally limited to rocky slopes and canyons.
    Status: A local permanent resident in arid lands of southern Idaho and Wyoming; reported in the mountain parks only as a vagrant; reportedly once casual in Rocky Mount a in N.P.,

Chris

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A dunghill fowl is a chicken that will not fight. (the term was used in the gamefowl world). Basically they were saying a bird was a pile of crap.

Chris

8. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    While that is true in the Game Fowl world, prior to the 1870's you see Dunghill fowls mentioned in ledgers, journals, etc. Here is an interesting exerpt
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Gi...0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dunghill fowl&f=false

9. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
  10. wsmith

Chris,

I disagree with that as the only criteria. My grandma (born in 1893, died in 1991) referred to chickens that roamed around and scratched in the manure piles as dunghill fowl. She never raised Gamefowl. I personally feel it is a general term applied to common yard chickens as well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by