Dominique Thread!

The very early 1900s were a hard time for the Dominique - breeders were torn between the larger type fowl closer to the plymouth rock body size and the original more medium sized birds. Traditionalists won out and convinced the APA to change the standard to fit the more medium sized birds with 7lb cock birds.

So, another question about the dominiue standard.

They absolutely aren't supposed to have a Beard and Muffs, right?

I have a little one from a batch of Dom chicks that i'm certain is an americauna cross. It is, however barred and does have a rose comb.

I am, of course, joking with my question. Just thought it was interesting how many of the traits were passed on.

Been quiet on this thread for a while...

Ran across this in some light reading....

From the journals of the Lewis and Clarke expedition.

Capt. Lewis, March 3, 1806--The large black and white
pheasant is peculiar to that portion of the Rocky Mountain watered
by the Columbia river. ................... the feathers of the body are of a dark
brown black and white. the black is that which predominates, and
white feathers are irregularly intermixed with those of the black
and dark brown on every part, but in greater proportion about the
neck breast and belley. this mixture gives it very much the

appearance of that kind of dunghill fowl which the henwives of our
country call dommanicker (Domanique)..................... (Bold added)

AWWWW, thats downright mean. Mine are pretty sweet birds. First ones I've had that will hop up on my lap all on their own just to see whats going on. I like em. Got 16, 2 are cockerels.

Not meant to be mean, but as an early description of Doms from 1806. Capt Lewis used the Domineckers to decsribe the spruce grouse, because it was familiar to him, and probably would be to most of the future readers. Domineckers were very common, and it appears that they were frequently refferred to as Dunghill fowl, probably due to the fact that they hung out on the compost piles eating bugs and seeds commonly found there.

Been quiet on this thread for a while...

Ran across this in some light reading....

From the journals of the Lewis and Clarke expedition.

Capt. Lewis, March 3, 1806--The large black and white
pheasant is peculiar to that portion of the Rocky Mountain watered
by the Columbia river. ................... the feathers of the body are of a dark
brown black and white. the black is that which predominates, and
white feathers are irregularly intermixed with those of the black
and dark brown on every part, but in greater proportion about the
neck breast and belley. this mixture gives it very much the

appearance of that kind of dunghill fowl which the henwives of our
country call dommanicker (Domanique)..................... (Bold added)
Sounds a lot like the description I have read on the Chukar.

Chukar (Alectoris chukar)
Identification: This species is the size of a large quail, but has strongly barred black and white flanks and a white throat and face, surrounded by a black band.
The repeated chuck or chuck-or call is a good fieldmark. Normally limited to rocky slopes and canyons.
Status: A local permanent resident in arid lands of southern Idaho and Wyoming; reported in the mountain parks only as a vagrant; reportedly once casual in Rocky Mount a in N.P.,

Chris

Not meant to be mean, but as an early description of Doms from 1806. Capt Lewis used the Domineckers to decsribe the spruce grouse, because it was familiar to him, and probably would be to most of the future readers. Domineckers were very common, and it appears that they were frequently refferred to as Dunghill fowl, probably due to the fact that they hung out on the compost piles eating bugs and seeds commonly found there.
A dunghill fowl is a chicken that will not fight. (the term was used in the gamefowl world). Basically they were saying a bird was a pile of crap.

Chris

A dunghill fowl is a chicken that will not fight. (the term was used in the gamefowl world). Basically they were saying a bird was a pile of crap.

Chris
Chris,

I disagree with that as the only criteria. My grandma (born in 1893, died in 1991) referred to chickens that roamed around and scratched in the manure piles as dunghill fowl. She never raised Gamefowl. I personally feel it is a general term applied to common yard chickens as well.

Back
Top Bottom