Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Chris,
    While I am not disagreeing with you, what is your take on these docs? The Farmers Bulletin (2nd link) does say American Dominique... however the first link just says Dominique. The 1st link has some pretty good history on barred rocks and the breeds used to create them.

http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003091166#page/n11/mode/2up

http://books.google.com/books?id=FE...0CEgQ6AEwATgy#v=onepage&q=barred rock&f=false

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The earliest reference I have to "American Dominique" is 1870 here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=hw...4rvGTfsEFgXj8LZABDA&ci=105,990,420,308&edge=0

It appears that the term was used to describe the locale of the Dominique, not necessarily a proper name. Then, IMO, the "American Dominique" name caught on as it is used in publications from 1870, forward.

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Yes - so for roosters that is 8.4lbs max. Sadly there are many breeders breeding and showing birds far over this standard weight. :/

4. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Can anyone tell me if this is a Dominique? It was suppose to be. Or is it a BPR? I can't tell if the comb is single or going to be a rose. When does a rose comb start "forming". She is about 8/9 weeks old in this photo.
    [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Best I can determine the comb is single. Single comb is indicative of BPR's but others differences exist that are not easy to see at juvenile stage or from aspect presented.

6. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the oldest and largest of our Dom chicks. It was hatched May 6

[​IMG]

7. wsmith

a week without new posts.......

8. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    look at LEGS, dark legs are females, light ones are males. I have 16. Sweet birds. Mine are 8 weeks old now.,

9. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Baby pictures! Don't you just hate it! This broody Silkie thinks these are her babies... she's a good mom.

[​IMG]

They are in the pen with these guys and the Dom rooster looks after them too! If they stray he sends them back to Silkie Mom.

[​IMG]

10. wsmith

I downloaded copies of the SOP from 1901, 1905, and 1915. Comparing the three editions and the SOP for the American Dominique or Dominique, over the course of 15 years the standard weight of the American Dominique went from (Cocks) 8 1/2 lbs down to 7 pounds. I wonder why that was...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by