Dominique Thread!

I have a question on sexing a Dominique cross chick. The roo is a Dom, the hen a Welsummer. Chick (just hatched this morning :) ) is black with the white spot on the head. Can you reliably sex a Dom cross chick by the spot? The broody, btw, is Brownie, one of my EE girls.

Thx!

The "mean girls" club....I LOVE that! A couple days ago (before I read this), I kept the RIR in the run with the Dominique little one but only for half the day. They pretty much ignored each other except the baby ran if the RIR got anywhere near her. I did catch them in the coop together though and that made me happy. The Leghorn was out to free range but rarely left the outside of the run because her buddy the RIR was in there. The RIR was going nuts to get out of the run for most of the day and I finally felt guilty and let her out after about 7 hours. I will give it a try and put the Leghorn in time out so the other two can bond and for a longer period than just one day.

I really appreciate the advice!! If this does not work then I will get some more young ones which I had wanted to do anyway but my coop is small. I have the plans to build a bigger coop so I can house more chickens but I haven't started on it yet. I am hooked.

Thanks again!!

The "mean girls" club....I LOVE that! A couple days ago (before I read this), I kept the RIR in the run with the Dominique little one but only for half the day. They pretty much ignored each other except the baby ran if the RIR got anywhere near her. I did catch them in the coop together though and that made me happy. The Leghorn was out to free range but rarely left the outside of the run because her buddy the RIR was in there. The RIR was going nuts to get out of the run for most of the day and I finally felt guilty and let her out after about 7 hours. I will give it a try and put the Leghorn in time out so the other two can bond and for a longer period than just one day.

I really appreciate the advice!! If this does not work then I will get some more young ones which I had wanted to do anyway but my coop is small. I have the plans to build a bigger coop so I can house more chickens but I haven't started on it yet. I am hooked.

Thanks again!!

Just thought i would share a picture of my 7 two day old dominique chicks. Nice addition to my 8 road island reds. Building new hen house just for dominique chicks. House is 6x12. Plenty room to run.

Well I knew chickens were smart but I didn't realize they could read minds. LOL!! When I started talking about splitting up the "mean girls", and explaining what was recommended in this thread to my husband, the hens started getting along. The are not rubbing elbows and singing kumbaya BUT the Leghorn has stopped chasing the baby and is not being mean to her. The baby still runs away on occasion if the Leghorn gets to close just because she is accustom to it but the hens have been pretty much leaving her alone. Best news ever is that the very same night we were discussing moving the Leghorn into the garage so the Dominique could sleep in the coop with the RIR, they let her into the coop. The Dominique has slept in the coop for three nights so no more box in the garage. Woo Hoo!

Back
Top Bottom