Dominique Thread!

No. Tonight take a couple off the roost and open their wings and tail. Look for blood feathers. Then look for new feathers coming in hackles, back and breast. Show a picture of back up close so new feathers can be pointed out.

At 18 months of age they should be in their first adult to adult featherset change.

I am done free ranging. I have done it for several years now but it is no longer working out. to many birds getting hit in the road and now something is taking several birds per day. So for now they are locked up. I suspect it is a coyote if it is I could take care of that but that will not help the car issue.
The birds are not just a hobby they are part of the farm income. the way I see it I have to choices one butcher them all and forget about chickens. Keeping them locked up 24*7 is not an option for me.
The only other option I see is to use electric poultry netting. Is anyone using that here and how has it worked? I am confident no predator is going around the poultry netting my charger runs 16,000 volts. but will I have a problem keeping the birds in? will the wings have to be clipped.

use it. Works good for juveniles through about 16 weeks. After 16 weeks many fly over top. Problem is birds quickly exhaust the forage base negating most nutritional advantages of free-ranging keeping. Coyotes can and sometimes will jump the 42" high version although dog presence does a good job of stopping that. Dogs are normally my ace in the hole but you have the train up problem that takes a good two years.

See my threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1019004/investing-more-in-american-dominiques

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1008645/english-shepherd-as-poultry-guardian

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426408/planned-poultry-guarding-dog

I am making steady progress towards having a small integrated farm setup where chickens are kept in core area with other livestock. Chickens will get significant nutritional gain from eating spilt grain and processing animal feces but can range only so far before outside areas they can be protected. That means I have a carrying capacity issue.

My 1st egg ever! They are about 19 weeks old!

Congratulations! Mine are turning 19 weeks this week and I keep looking for eggs. *fingers crossed*

yippiechickie.gif

Yaay! My girls are still only 13-14 weeks so I still have a little wait, but I'm SO excited for eggs.

Since we're on the topic, what week has everyone gotten their first egg?

My Dom is only 11.5 weeks, so I'll be waiting with you.

The last time i had a summer hatch, it took well over 20 weeks b/c of the shorter days. I didn't see eggs until late Feb - maybe about 25-27 weeks old. I'm guessing my Dom will be about the same. (Those chickens were not Doms.)

Yaay! My girls are still only 13-14 weeks so I still have a little wait, but I'm SO excited for eggs.

Since we're on the topic, what week has everyone gotten their first egg?

I got my first egg from both of my girls at 21 weeks. That was in late August though. Since you'll be into November at 20 weeks I would expect yours to maybe lay around February when the the days start getting longer.

I got my first egg from both of my girls at 21 weeks. That was in late August though. Since you'll be into November at 20 weeks I would expect yours to maybe lay around February when the the days start getting longer.

Omg, I hope not! I'll get crazy impatient by then, lol. I've always read that first-time pullets will start laying when they're bodies are ready no matter the season and that it won't be until their second+ years that you'll see the winter time periods of slow production...

Omg, I hope not! I'll get crazy impatient by then, lol. I've always read that first-time pullets will start laying when they're bodies are ready no matter the season and that it won't be until their second+ years that you'll see the winter time periods of slow production...

It's possible. Both my Aneraucanas and Orpingtons were hatched late and didnt lay until 48 weeks bc there 20th week was late November

Same here! I fixed the nesting boxes yesterday, just in case, and tucked some round white stones inside to give my gals a hint. Since we're in Texas, we still have quite a bit of daylight so I'm hoping for eggs before winter.

Back
Top Bottom