Dominique Thread!

Our Dom roosters, 2 years old, we're surpassed by the Barnevelders in size when the Barnies hit about 8 months old. Dom hens are smaller than the Barnevelder hens. Dom and Swedish Flower girls are almost exactly the same size and shape, as are their eggs. That's on this farm at least!

Hard to tell (for me) which will continue to grow their spikes in, but if that is what i'm selecting for, i don't think that it will be a problem with this line. I'll try to keep track of percentage, tho, as time goes on.

As far as the hens having U shape backs, it will take some more maturation. The birds are all over the place with molt and growth, at this point. Bare backs in pictures, or otherwise, makes me cringe, and i really hate to post photos until that gets worked through.

Totally understood -- The dinosaur stage and adult feathers replacing juvenile feathers is always a wait-and-see with chickens. Some people really concentrate on the feathering but I personally like seeing type correct first -- U shape back and spiked rosecombs -- and of course, a sweet outgoing curious friendly temperament as most Doms are known for!

Our Dom roosters, 2 years old, we're surpassed by the Barnevelders in size when the Barnies hit about 8 months old. Dom hens are smaller than the Barnevelder hens. Dom and Swedish Flower girls are almost exactly the same size and shape, as are their eggs. That's on this farm at least!

I for one like smaller breeds for our cottage backyard -- easier on the feed bill. We loved our Dom so much for her outgoing curious people-oriented temperament and lost her way too soon
sad.png

Hey guys,

I'm going to add 4 more hens to my flock very soon and was wondering if 4 nest boxes will be enough for 9 hens, let me know. Thanks.

Hey guys,

I'm going to add 4 more hens to my flock very soon and was wondering if 4 nest boxes will be enough for 9 hens, let me know. Thanks.

Rule of thumb is 1 box per 4 hens. you should be fine.

TeeHee, guys! I have 2 Silkies and 2 large fowl and sometimes the 4 of them will use a nestbox to roost for the night so I for one am glad I happen to have a nestbox for each! Unusual and doesn't happen every night but glad there is a box available for each one if they choose.

None of mine sleep in the nest boxes. Let's assume that my new hens won't either, do you think 4 boxes will be enough for 9 hens for laying purposes?

None of mine sleep in the nest boxes. Let's assume that my new hens won't either, do you think 4 boxes will be enough for 9 hens for laying purposes?

You could have 20 nestboxes available for laying eggs but all 9 of your hens will clammer for the one and only same nestbox day after day. Why? Who knows? They'll stand in line waiting for a hen to finish laying her egg in the "preferred" favourite box!!!! Sometimes they don't wait and squeeze into the box with the hen that hasn't finished laying yet. Silly hens! It might help to put a couple dummy eggs in each nestbox so they get fooled into thinking other hens preferred the other boxes too and go lay their egg in them. I don't use dummy eggs though because my broody Silkies will instantly try to hatch them! For roost the sleeping hens will each take a separate nest but for laying eggs they all want the first box closest to the pop-door -- maybe because it's the "room with a view"?!

Is there a SOP for crowing? In other words, how should a dominique roosters crow sound like? My guy has a pretty nice crow but his voice is kind of high-pitched. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom