Dominique Thread!

Do remember that with older birds, they can have lost the back comb spike either by fighting or cold...so just be ause she doesn't have one now, doesn't mean she didn't have one originally.
smile.png

Also, you want cuckoo coloring, not barring.

This is true, I hadn't considered that she may have lost it at some point. She also has very twisted toes...or at least the nails. I'm not sure if that's genetic or not.

Could you please explain the difference between cuckoo coloring and barring?

Twisted nails and toes, could be genetic, injury, funky incubation, and also can be a lack of vitamins at some point.

Barring is almost striped looking, and pure white and black.

Cuckoo is off white and off black, maybe a very light gray and a dark charcoal kind of color. There should be no lines, think "super great camouflage". The transition on the feathers between the two colors should be a bit blurred, and not super crisp.

Here is a photo from the Cackle Hatchery website of a Barred Rock, which is barred coloration. See how crisp his color is? And how it almost makes lines across him?

Here are ideal Dominique feathers...see the blurring?

Your Dom cockerel is not standing in the U-shape back stance so it's hard to tell his body shape but that girl in the photo mid-stride with the Wyandotte(?) has a beautiful U-shape. Your Golden Hamburg is a beauty too!

Here's a better shot of his stance and both the Dom girls have that nice U-shape.

Sadly, a week ago my Golden Spangled Hamburg lost her life to a Red Shouldered Hawk that's been lurking around. It ambushed her in front of my 11 year old daughter. The Golden Spangled variety is very difficult to come by and I was hoping to find a rooster to breed her with as I thought she was a beautiful example of the breed. She was sweet as could be too. It took a while because they're quite skittish but she was always at my heels and would walk to the end of the drive to wait for the school bus with my kids and me then follow me back to the house for a special handfed treat. She had survived an attack from a crow last summer (my newfie ripped through screen door to chase it off) and survived a near fatal attack by two dogs that literally ate their way into my coop. I had her in the house for two days to treat her wounds and when the day came that she was escaping her tote and hopped up on the couch to look out the window, it was time to put her back out with the flock. After three years of working to gain her trust, she was as much of a lap-chicken as one could expect from a Hamburg. It's been a heartbreaking loss.

These photos were taken moments after I dragged the stray dogs out of my coop. I really didn't think she'd make it

I caught one dog chewing her wing...so much flesh was missing I didn't think her feathers would ever grow back

Here she was two or three days later letting me know she was ready to get back outside

This was two months after the attack...the tips of all the feathers that were ripped out came back in white due to stress. @Alaskan this is a prime example of the difference in combs even in mature hens when laying vs. not laying that I had mentioned a while ago. She was not laying at this point and despite being blurry because she was too close, you can see quite a difference from this one vs. the final photo when she had fully recovered and had resumed laying.

She even taught the cockerel how to tidbit!

My apologies for posting all these photos of my Hamburg in this thread but these GSHs and the Doms are the two breeds that I'll be sticking with once all the other retiree hens have passed on. My Hamburg tended to get picked on by some of the larger hens but the Doms are good natured and a well matched size and didn't intimidate her so much. She and the Dom she's pictured with were never too far from each other.

Last edited:
Twisted nails and toes, could be genetic, injury, funky incubation, and also can be a lack of vitamins at some point.

Barring is almost striped looking, and pure white and black.

Cuckoo is off white and off black, maybe a very light gray and a dark charcoal kind of color. There should be no lines, think "super great camouflage". The transition on the feathers between the two colors should be a bit blurred, and not super crisp.

Here is a photo from the Cackle Hatchery website of a Barred Rock, which is barred coloration. See how crisp his color is? And how it almost makes lines across him?

Here are ideal Dominique feathers...see the blurring?

Thank you for explaining. I guess my hens coloring isn't as off as I thought it was.

I only acquired the hens a few months ago as two year olds so I'm not sure what the cause would be and figured it's best not to hatch her eggs just in case it is genetic.

Island girl, great non-laying comb verses laying comb.

Interesting....I dont tend to pay attention to that... So nce to see the difference and see how large it is.

And you are most welcome.... I love talking Doms.

I like Hamburgs too... But the kids voted for Spitz to be our white egg laying breed (really just a hamburg with a crest), and I insisted on keeping the Leghorns.

Here's a better shot of his stance and both the Dom girls have that nice U-shape.

HE SOUNDS LIKE SUCH A SWEETIE! HIS BACK ISN'T SHOWING THE U-SHAPE YET -- MAYBE AFTER HE GETS FULL TAIL FEATHERS.

Sadly, a week ago my Golden Spangled Hamburg lost her life to a Red Shouldered Hawk that's been lurking around. It ambushed her in front of my 11 year old daughter. The Golden Spangled variety is very difficult to come by and I was hoping to find a rooster to breed her with as I thought she was a beautiful example of the breed. She was sweet as could be too. It took a while because they're quite skittish but she was always at my heels and would walk to the end of the drive to wait for the school bus with my kids and me then follow me back to the house for a special handfed treat. She had survived an attack from a crow last summer (my newfie ripped through screen door to chase it off) and survived a near fatal attack by two dogs that literally ate their way into my coop. I had her in the house for two days to treat her wounds and when the day came that she was escaping her tote and hopped up on the couch to look out the window, it was time to put her back out with the flock. After three years of working to gain her trust, she was as much of a lap-chicken as one could expect from a Hamburg. It's been a heartbreaking loss.

These photos were taken moments after I dragged the stray dogs out of my coop. I really didn't think she'd make it

She even taught the cockerel how to tidbit!

THE ACCOUNTS OF YOUR GSH HEN WAS WHAT CHANGED MY OPINION OF HAMBURGS' PERCEIVED REPUTATION FOR BEING FLIGHTY BIRDS. YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR RARE GIRL HAD ME CONSIDERING A HAMBURG ALONG WITH BREDA AS A LIGHTERWEIGHT WHITE EGG LAYER. IT JUST HAPPENED I FOUND A BLUE BREDA FIRST AND LIKE YOU WITH YOUR GSH I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED WITH MY EXPERIENCE WITH OUR BREDA GIRL. OUR BREDA IS LIGHTWEIGHT, ACTIVE, NON-COMBATIVE TOWARD FLOCKMATES, A NATURALLY OUTGOING CURIOUS UNAFRAID PEOPLE-FRIENDLY BREED EVEN WITH OUR VISITORS, AND HASN'T STOPPED LAYING WHITE EGGS SINCE NOVEMBER OF LAST YEAR! THERE'S A LOT OF PRO'S TO BE SAID FOR THE LIGHTERWEIGHT BREEDS IN THE CHICKEN WORLD. I AM SO DESPERATELY SORRY TO HEAR YOUR GIRL HAD SUCH A TRAGIC END AFTER BEING SUCH A SPUNKY SURVIVOR BEFORE. I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR DD TOO. I CAN'T STOP CRYING! OUR DA#*M CHICKEN HAWKS IS THE VERY REASON I'VE GOT 5 DOG HOUSES, A POP-UP CANOPY, A COUPLE LOW LEAN-TO SHELTERS, LAWN FURNITURE, POTTED PLANTS, COMPOST BARREL, ETC, SCATTERED ABOUT THE YARD FOR OUR GIRLS TO MAKE A HASTY DASH FOR COVER WITHOUT BEING CAUGHT RUNNING ACROSS OPEN LAWN FOR A HAWK TO SWOOP. THE COOPER'S HAWK HAS BEEN IN OUR YARD NOT 5 FEET FROM A HIDING HEN BUT WILL NOT ENGAGE IN COMBAT WITH THEM ON THE GROUND -- SEEMS THE HAWKS PREFER SWOOPING DOWN ON RUNNING HENS IN AN OPEN AREA SO PARANOID ME HAS HIDING PLACES CLOSE TOGETHER FOR HENS TO DUCK-&-HIDE OR SAFELY SNOOZE. SO FAR SO GOOD -- NO HEN LOSSES IN 5 YRS. HOWEVER, WE DID LOSE OUR GENTLE 3-YR-OLD BLUE WHEATEN AMERAUCANA A COUPLE MONTHS AGO TO ILLNESS -- VET HAD TO FINALLY PUT HER DOWN FOR US
sad.png
. IT FEELS LIKE LOSING A MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY!

My apologies for posting all these photos of my Hamburg in this thread but these GSHs and the Doms are the two breeds that I'll be sticking with once all the other retiree hens have passed on. My Hamburg tended to get picked on by some of the larger hens but the Doms are good natured and a well matched size and didn't intimidate her so much. She and the Dom she's pictured with were never too far from each other. NO APOLOGIES NECESSARY FOR POSTING PICS OF VERY BEAUTIFUL CHICKEN SOULS!

Island girl, great non-laying comb verses laying comb.

Interesting....I dont tend to pay attention to that... So nce to see the difference and see how large it is.

And you are most welcome.... I love talking Doms.

I like Hamburgs too... But the kids voted for Spitz to be our white egg laying breed (really just a hamburg with a crest), and I insisted on keeping the Leghorns.

I love Leghorns for so-o-o-o many reasons and there are so many beautiful varieties now. My folks raised Babcock Leghorn layers back in the 1950's. I had a sweet White Leghorn and a beautiful Buff Leghorn but had to re-home both of them because they were too assertive for the gentle smaller breeds in my flock. Great eggs though!

My apologies for posting all these photos of my Hamburg in this thread but these GSHs and the Doms are the two breeds that I'll be sticking with once all the other retiree hens have passed on. My Hamburg tended to get picked on by some of the larger hens but the Doms are good natured and a well matched size and didn't intimidate her so much. She and the Dom she's pictured with were never too far from each other.
hugs.gif
Sorry for the loss of your sweet Hamburg. She was a beautiful & spunky gal.

@Turk Raphael - the Hamburgs are beautiful and the golden spangled are one of the rarest to find. I really am finding the lighterweight breeds have quite a lot to offer - better personalities (less combative than heavy larger breeds), usually very good layers (our 4-lb Breda has been cranking out 4-6 eggs weekly non-stop since last November) and the smaller birds seem to be more active at rustling up a lot of their own food. Our smaller Breda loves to eat but is a dainty conservative consumer of feed. The big breeds with their jumbo eggs serve a purpose but for aesthetic appearance and steady egg-laying the sweet lighter-weight breeds are overlooked too much -- Doms, Hamburgs, Spitzhauben, Breda, the wilder temperament Dandarawi's or Fayoumi's, etc etc. I once considered them flighty or non-personable until I tried a couple smaller breeds. Love the Doms and will probably get one next Spring. This week I have my 2nd Breda arriving either tomorrow or Thursday and can't wait!! If you fall in love with a breed, go for it. I have enjoyed my experience trying different breeds to find the ones I really want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom