Dominique Thread!

Dutch is growing like a weed and already sassy.:)
20180730_170718.jpg

I still haven't gotten photos of the 6 Dom chicks as we were out of town for about a week. But I do have a question for those of you that have had cockerels.

I have one "for sure from hatch" cockerel (and possibly another). The "For Sure" boy's behavior has been concerning me since he was about 2-3 weeks old. He started biting (me) and occasionally exhibiting the kind of behavior an adult roo would that is aggressive toward people. He didn't do it every time I was out there but enough to get my attention as I've not seen that kind of behavior that young.

Now, at 7 weeks, it is very obvious that he is continuing that behavior more extremely.

I will not put up with that from any roo/cockerel. There are enough good tempered roos in the world... But here are my questions:

- Do you find that your Dom roos/cockerels are people aggressive in general?
- Have you seen this kind of behavior so young in your cockerels? - Should I assume that this is not going to change?

He's too young to process, but when he gets larger, he's obviously going to be a force to contend with and I'm not interested in contending.

I've only had one good roo in my chicken experience, but even having had others, never seen anything like this so young.

I still haven't gotten photos of the 6 Dom chicks as we were out of town for about a week. But I do have a question for those of you that have had cockerels.

I have one "for sure from hatch" cockerel (and possibly another). The "For Sure" boy's behavior has been concerning me since he was about 2-3 weeks old. He started biting (me) and occasionally exhibiting the kind of behavior an adult roo would that is aggressive toward people. He didn't do it every time I was out there but enough to get my attention as I've not seen that kind of behavior that young.

Now, at 7 weeks, it is very obvious that he is continuing that behavior more extremely.

I will not put up with that from any roo/cockerel. There are enough good tempered roos in the world... But here are my questions:

- Have you seen this kind of behavior so young in your cockerels? - Should I assume that this is not going to change?

He's too young to process, but when he gets larger, he's obviously going to be a force to contend with and I'm not interested in contending.

I've only had one good roo in my chicken experience, but even having had others, never seen anything like this so young.

Chickens, like people, are all different. You possibly have a roo that is mentally unbalanced? Doms are great in general but roos have one job to do in a flock and that is to ward off predators to the death, and mate his favorite concubines. If you haven't socialized your roo with humans he could see humans as a threat. If you socialized your aggressive cockerel and he's still exhibiting nasty behavior it sounds to me he's going to be stew meat in winter!

I have in general found my Dominique roosters to be well behaved.

However, I have found rooster personality to be HIGHLY genetic. Nasty people aggressive roosters sire nasty people aggressive roosters.

I breed most of my own chickens, and I am extremely prejudiced against people aggressive roosters. As a result... most of what I breed... results in roosters with zero people aggression.

Even back when I was starting out... and all of my Dominique cockerels were from a hatchery, I think over half were OK with humans. :confused:

The worst trouble I have had with human aggression has been with the bantam breeds... specifically d'anvers and d'uccle. It was VERY difficult to find a single decently behaved rooster in either breed... I finally gave up on them.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the 7 week old doms. I didn't get them all, and the photos are from a poor camera.

This first little one (double purple band) is much smaller than the others and was from hatch. He/she grows slowly. I've wondered if the breeder had any bantams and this one got in by mistake but haven't checked with her. For a long time I suspected it was a boy due to it's very outgoing behavior. It always runs right over and wants to be with me.

Double purple band...
2018 7-31 7 wks 2purple dom little.jpg

2018 7-31 7 wks 2purple dom little3.jpg

Green Band. Not a great photo. I've also wondered if this one is male.
2018 7-31 7 wks green dom.jpg

Red & Green Band
2018 7-31 7 wks red green dom.jpg

2018 7-31 7 wks red green dom2.jpg

Red & Purple Band
2018 7-31 7 wks red purple dom.jpg

And...The offending cockerel - blue band.
2018 7-31 7 wks blue boy dome.jpg

There is one more that I didn't get. I think it's the one in this photo (no band).

2018 7-31 7 wks Blue and yellow band laced 1 dom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom