Dominique Thread!

Here are some photos of the 7 week old doms. I didn't get them all, and the photos are from a poor camera.

This first little one (double purple band) is much smaller than the others and was from hatch. He/she grows slowly. I've wondered if the breeder had any bantams and this one got in by mistake but haven't checked with her. For a long time I suspected it was a boy due to it's very outgoing behavior. It always runs right over and wants to be with me.

Double purple band...
View attachment 1490188
View attachment 1490190

Green Band. Not a great photo. I've also wondered if this one is male. View attachment 1490191

Red & Green Band View attachment 1490194
View attachment 1490199
Red & Purple Band
View attachment 1490206

And...The offending cockerel - blue band.
View attachment 1490209

There is one more that I didn't get. I think it's the one in this photo (no band).

View attachment 1490212
The first 2 look much lighter in color... so male.

Nice set of birds.

I'm pretty sure that I have 3 cockerels. The tiny one with double purple, the green band, and the big blue band boy. They all match in overall coloring though the legs aren't consistent.

I wonder what the issue is with the tiny one. These boys are literally small, medium, and large. The little one is growing, but about 1/3 of the size of the others.

Last edited:
@Leahs Mom My 3 Dom chicks were definitely pullets when I ordered them and I got to choose the chicks I wanted out of the bin the day they arrived at the feed store. And all 3 of them grew differently -- some had uneven wattles growing in, one pullet was lighter in color than the other 2, and all their combs looked different. But after they passed the 5-month age and started laying they all had the same length wattles, they all had the same depth of feather color (I couldn't tell the lighter feather chick from the darker feathered pullrts anymore), and the only way I could distinguish them apart was by the shape of their rose combs. They do seem to sport different shapes in rose combs. I was happy that all 3 had the leader (spike) at the back of their comb! So wait for your juveniles to grow up more before making any judgments as to sex. My chicks were all day-old chicks but one was growing faster and bigger than the other two but she turned out definitely a pullet in the end! One patient breeder told me not to worry about the uneven wattle growth because they even up when adults and sure 'nuf they did! The age of your chicks was a fun time for us to watch the changes they went through growing up!

I've also had a different breed that had the comb and wattles of a male and I didn't know for sure until she laid an egg!

I'll continue to keep a watch on them over the next few weeks :)

@Leahs Mom With chicks they go through so many changes and you just never know anything for certain until the first egg is layed. In fact, crowing can be done by females so crowing is not even an earmark that it's a male! Chickens -- they keep you guessing, eh?

A pretty little Dom pullet just for the heck of it.
2018-8-1-7-wk-pretty-dom-pullet-jpg.1492340

The end.
2018-8-1-the-end-jpg.1492344

Back
Top Bottom