Dominique Thread!

Pics
Quote:
BarredBuff,

One of the characteristics of doms is they are not super broody. Tendency to become brooder is negatively correlated with egg output. I have some free range dom hens from Cackle hatchery being covered by an American game rooster to produce hatching eggs. This cross to be hatched using incubator. Soon they will be covered by California greys then roosters of two other breeds. Later in summer they will be bred to best dom roosters and allowed to set. So far none of the hens has attempted to set even though I leave 10 to 12 eggs in nest at all times. Something else besides just eggs promotes broodiness and from what I have seen it occurs most during warm months.

Hyman - Farthing strain. Not noticed yet in Cackle hens which I have only 9 of and they are only about 6 months old. This will be a trait to be fixed so all exhibit it. Hope it will be easy.

I just can't bring myself to cull "Spike". I'm curious as to just how big this comb will get.

36723_img_3754.jpg

Here he is compared to a standard rose comb. Wow...

36723_img_3749.jpg

Quote:
Do they all have it? If so, then something environmental may be involved or not all lots of Cackle doms are of same genetic background.

Most of them.............

Back
Top Bottom