Dominique Thread!

Pics
Well, I set 21 Dom eggs in the incubator the other day, in a few weeks I'll have my second generation of birds hatching out!
smile.png

Quote:
THat is so exciting! We have been hatching our Dom eggs these past two weeks. My Mother in law has an incubator and we bring her the eggs. Last week we had 7, and hubby just brought 5 more home this morning! It has been so fun. We have 13 more that are due in 2.5 weeks. They are the cutest little fluff balls! I cannot WAIT to see which are boys and which are girls!!

Good luck!
Keri

Hi all!
big_smile.png
I also posted this in the Gender Thread, so please excuse me, but I need some Dominique expert help!

My hubby and I finally took the plunge and purchased our first chicks! I am a HUGE history buff and volunteer as a Colonial interpreter, so my choice of breed was the Dominique, as they were common to the period in our VA/MD location. (Not to mention they are precious, have that lovely barred coloring, and are noted for their calmer nature as layers...allegedly, anyhow.)

We were really leery to order from an online breeder, particularly since we have a VERY rural farm (how long might those babies be in the mail!) and only wanted 6 or so. I did my research ahead of time on the sex-linked characterists and found the lovely Dominique site noting the darker shanks and toes and more tight white spot on the head.

We found a backyard breeder in Richmond...nice since we could go meet everyone and see the parents before making our decision. The chicks were one week and two days old when we picked them up. They are now one week and five days old (two weeks on Friday). Already, I swear they have gotten bigger and more feathers are showing up...in three days!? Is that even possible?!

Anyhow, out of the 14-16 total chicks at the farm, we selected eight (giving us some wiggle room if a roo is in the mix). Those that we chose had the darker legs (compared to all in the group) and tighter spots, but one with almost completely dark legs has no spot and none of the chicks had particularly scattered spots. From my reading, it seems as though the leg markings are the best indicator, as the spots fade rather quickly.

Looking at the photo of all chicks below, does anyone see a roo that just jumps out at you? I'm just wondering if it's possible that we have got all pullets on our first time out...seems unlikely. All seem to be maturing together...no one stands particularly more upright than another. All are getting their feathers in the same locations/rate. They are all about the same size.

Thanks in advance for any help!

dominiques1.jpg

Here are two of me Dom. Hens there starting to molt but thought I would post them. Ill try to post some of the other girls latter....
33115_domhen01.jpg

33115_domhen02.jpg

Chris

Back
Top Bottom