Dominique Thread!

Pics
@ ascorbic - Thank you so much for the photos posted to the other thread! None of mine are anywhere near as light as that little roo. I've posted another pic of all my peeps, along with two close ups of "little black-foot"! haha You'll note that she also has an almost completely dark beak, unique to her siblings.

As for the potential for crossing, the adults all appeared to be the perfect Dominique specimens, although the breeder did have RIRs for breeders, as well. There was a separate pen for non-breeding hens. He seemed to have the different varieties well separated (the chicks were all together). I would say that there were about 14 or so of the Dominiques and maybe 4 RIR in the brooder, but the difference was pretty obvious. She was the only one with the super dark feet, beak, and no spot. She is showing light points elsewhere, but pretty dark all around.

Like you, we've gotten into the collecting of animals and haven't gotten around to kids yet. We also have Jack Russells, along with four barn cats, and four horses (two full size and two miniatures)!

All my peeps...
IMG_0871.jpg

Miss Blackfoot
IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

Quote:
I believe you have barred rocks instead. Look like single combs, not rose combs as donimique's have.

I agree with seedcorn and I see all single combs. Dominiques would have a rose comb...

Chris

Quote:
Lauren
Did the "breeder" have a Dominique rooster in with the Dominique hens? It looks to me that what you have is a Black sex-link (in this case a R.I. Red rooster over a Dominique hen)
The reason I say that is in that cross the offspring would be Barred males and Black females. To me all your barred bird look a little like roosters and the solid black ones look like hens.....

I would say that there were about 14 or so of the Dominiques and maybe 4 RIR in the brooder, but the difference was pretty obvious

Yes it is,
Dominiques will be Black/Barred as chicks and the R.I. Reds will be Red...

Chris​

Last edited:
@ Chris09 - No, there was a Dominique rooster (single) in with approximately six Dominique hens. The RIRs were in a different run, but I honestly didn't look for a roo in that group. I took a good look at the Dominiques and thought that I accurately noted the rose comb, but now I am questioning myself. The barred looked mottled, not neat and tidy rows, as I would have expected based upon the photos of the Barred Rocks I've seen.

As for the barred versus black chicks, only one didn't have the head spot, but does have white on her wing feathers. The underside matches all the others, it is the top of the head (no spot), darker beak, and super dark legs that set her apart. I haven't been able to get a really good photo of her alone to show the wing tips.

I have three dominque hens. I am super happy with them. Very freindly, great at foraging around the backyard and also great at going back into the run when called! Great egg layers too

Quote:
Saw this and that no one had responded. We too, just got our first Dominiques. Lucked out that they had some from Ideal at the feed store one day when my husband stopped for feed. They were even sexed, so he got 4 pullets. We've both commented on how much slower they are growing that our other chicks did. They're very healthy, just don't see as rapid a growth. We hatched out some of our own eggs (EE mixed with BO and RIR mixes - mutts, really) a couple of months ago and those babies grew like weeds. You could literally see the difference from morning to evening for the first few weeks. Hubby thinks it's because there was less stress on the home-raised babies and that their parents have been able to free range. Reasonable theory??? Or, is it the breed?

Beth

At this point I have almost decided that the slow growth must be a breed trait. I have other hatchery birds of different breeds and now some better quality Dominiques from a breeder as well as some of my own mutts that are all within 5 days of being the same age. Everyone is being exposed to the same feed and conditions. All of the Dominiques seem to be growing more slowly. Maybe it's because they are a heritage/old breed and they haven't been changed as much over the years for quick growth and production? Not quite sure. But I do know that there is a noticeable difference!

Back
Top Bottom