Dominique Thread!

I am not getting as much U shape to the back as I want, some of this years hatch are dished a little in the comb.

I found that the u-shaped back took a little while to develop. My younger pullets didn't "stand pretty" until they were 4-5 months old. I think they were too busy running around, avoiding the adults, and getting into mischief to flaunt their stuff.

I don't breed Doms, so what I've got is what I've got. Personality means more, but of course, we all like that pretty Dom silhouette.

We didn't hatch any Doms this year, and last year's girls weren't worth keeping. (Neither in looks nor personality) So, I currently don't have any. Hoping we'll hatch some in 2020.

You may want to take a very critical look at the birds you plan to breed.

Many SOP breeders find one bird out of 20 or birds. The chances of having a SOP bird in 4 is almost nil.

That said I keep many non-Showbirds also. They become friends and pets...and give us eggs. Some of my favorite birds are hatchery birds with no chance of ever having an offspring close to the SOP.... which is why we eat their eggs:lau
Oh yes, I realize that. Hopefully I can find a breeder with some good starter birds, but I don't think I can realistically hatch 100 chicks per year to breed to the standard.

I'm setting a high goal of wanting to breed to the SOP, then will probably just have good looking Dominiques that are pets that give eggs.

My 4 hens I now have are 3 years old, and there wasn't a good rooster of the hatch to keep.

I found that the u-shaped back took a little while to develop. My younger pullets didn't "stand pretty" until they were 4-5 months old. I think they were too busy running around, avoiding the adults, and getting into mischief to flaunt their stuff.

I don't breed Doms, so what I've got is what I've got. Personality means more, but of course, we all like that pretty Dom silhouette.

We didn't hatch any Doms this year, and last year's girls weren't worth keeping. (Neither in looks nor personality) So, I currently don't have any. Hoping we'll hatch some in 2020.

I think I did not write very clearly. I have had great U shapes for several years now, but this years youngun's are not quite what I expected. I am hoping the butts will turn up soon.

But it seems every year I fight a new problem that arises, Toes, combs, Tails, barring etc....arrrgh.... But if it was easy what would be the challenge.

Regarding the U-shape back -- as pullets my Dom girls had beautiful U-backs -- but once a very cold and rainy season hit us I noticed the cushion at the tail base on my hens was feathering out way too much. Is that a characteristic of hens past their prime 2nd year?

This was my favorite U-back pullet but ultimately she grew out to be the biggest fluffiest tall-combed girl of the bunch!!! Just goes to show you can't judge pullets for show characteristics until they mature
DSCN8572.JPG
DSCN8643.JPG

As the cold weather and rainy season started I noticed the cushion getting bigger!
DSCN8650.JPG

\
Today she's a big fat fluffy ball of feathers!!!
DSCN4662.JPG

This is the other Dom girl who has a tighter comb and less cushion
DSCN4663.JPG
DSCN4664.JPG
DSCN4668.JPG
DSCN4673.JPG

Back
Top Bottom