Dominique Thread!

Virginia is getting harder to tell from the others. I usually just call her out of the flock. She still has a small white mark behind the eye. Here are some pics from our morning visit.

Queen of the flock.

For me the American Dominique breeding effort for 2013 has officially started. The cocks will be rotated through a group of seven / pullets with the objective for each cock is 42 chicks getting to point where they start free-range development. These cohorts will differ in age by 4 weeks. At same time other two cocks will be single mated to the two remaining best hens to produce 30 chicks per hen. Chicks from those matings will be co-reared with the larger groups.

I hope you have a successful hatching year. What does "getting to point where they start free-range development." mean?

Just curious - have any of you ever heard of a "Red Dominique" - I searched on BYC and found some pics but nothing that goes into details about the breed or coloration. I ask this because I had a Dominique egg hatch about 4 weeks ago - that looked like a standard Dominique - but now that she is getting feathers the barring is "redish brown". Then I hatched some others last week and one of them is getting some reddish brown barring as well on the wing feathers that are starting - but it has a reddish brown coloration in the fluff around its eyes as well. One of my Dominique hens has this coloration around her comb and a couple of the roosters have a couple of reddish brown tail feathers - can anyone explain? Will try to get pics.

I hope you have a successful hatching year. What does "getting to point where they start free-range development." mean?
They go from brooder to chicken tractor at 4 weeks and remain there for a week to imprint on tractor, then I lift end of tractor so they can forage much of day but they return tom it to roost. The opening of the tractor is the start of free-range development.

Okay took pics of the "Red Dominique" Chicks and mom and dad -

First "mom" - this is the hen whose eggs these red babies are hatching from (you can see the red)

The dad - is one of these two guys (you can also see some "red") -

Now the chicks - this one is around 4 weeks old (ALL the barring is "red") -

This one shows better coloration:

and this chick is one week old (notice the "red" around the eyes and on the wings):

it also has some white barring.

Sorry about the fuzziness - (my chicks NEVER stand still) - but you get the idea - anyone know what causes this? IS there a RED Dominique???

Okay took pics of the "Red Dominique" Chicks and mom and dad -

First "mom" - this is the hen whose eggs these red babies are hatching from (you can see the red)

The dad - is one of these two guys (you can also see some "red") -

Now the chicks - this one is around 4 weeks old (ALL the barring is "red") -

This one shows better coloration:

and this chick is one week old (notice the "red" around the eyes and on the wings):

it also has some white barring.

Sorry about the fuzziness - (my chicks NEVER stand still) - but you get the idea - anyone know what causes this? IS there a RED Dominique???
Yes there is a red Dominique. I read about it on BYC a few months back, one guy who specializes in red Doms, down south I think. Very nice looking birds, but I think I prefer the standard coloration better. Doms are at the top of my list of must have birds. I special ordered 3 day old pullets this spring, only to be given 3 cockrels. Very disappointed. But, I'll not give up hope. There's always next year. I'll probably try shipped eggs. I figure that if a hatchery can be 100% wrong providing auto-sexing pullets, my chances have to be better with SR eggs! Perhaps I'll get lucky and find a pullet in Maine later this summer after all of my roos go to freezer camp.

Okay took pics of the "Red Dominique" Chicks and mom and dad - First "mom" - this is the hen whose eggs these red babies are hatching from (you can see the red) The dad - is one of these two guys (you can also see some "red") - Now the chicks - this one is around 4 weeks old (ALL the barring is "red") - This one shows better coloration: and this chick is one week old (notice the "red" around the eyes and on the wings): it also has some white barring. Sorry about the fuzziness - (my chicks NEVER stand still) - but you get the idea - anyone know what causes this? IS there a RED Dominique???
Are you sure they are pure Doms? I have Dom/RIR crossed birds that look similar to your roo

Back
Top Bottom