Dominique Thread!

Pheasants: That plant in the pic with the scalloped leaves... is it "viney" and does it have a purple flower, and does it smell pungent when cut??? If so, can any body id that plant??? Preferably with latin name as common names are so ambiguous and regional. I have it all through my lawn.

Last edited:
Pheasants:  That plant in the pic with the scalloped leaves... is it "viney" and does it have a purple flower, and does it smell pungent when cut??? If so, can any body id that plant???  Preferably with latin name as common names are so ambiguous and regional.  I have it all through my lawn.
it is kinda viney, purple or white flowers. And it easily gets over knee high. But I can't remember the name... I don't think it smells much when cut but is really wet and builds up on the mower.

Last edited:
I got lucky and was able to get close to them. There are the originals and a screen shot of me zooming in.

Having something to do with chromosomes or genes or some such thing, male feathers will have wider silver barring in their feathers making them look paler than the females. I don't see a significant difference in feathering on all your chickens so my guess is hen. If it is a hen she has a very pretty comb.

I got lucky and was able to get close to them. There are the originals and a screen shot of me zooming in.

I can't see the fronts of thelegs very clearly; but the comb and wattles are unfortunately suggesting male to me, as is the stance and greater boldness. I can't be sure because it is hard to compare the width of the black banding in their pattern at this scale. Generally males have narrower black bands, and an overall slightly lighter colored look because of this.

Does anyone else find their dominiques to like climbing on things? All of mine are often on the top of my pheasant pens, 8ft up. They only have to jump four feet to climb up. With my other chickens they usually only climb up once before they seen to grow out. Is this a normal dominique trait or are they just being different? Anyone else ever had this happen?

Does anyone else find their dominiques to like climbing on things? All of mine are often on the top of my pheasant pens, 8ft up. They only have to jump four feet to climb up. With my other chickens they usually only climb up once before they seen to grow out. Is this a normal dominique trait or are they just being different? Anyone else ever had this happen?

Dominiques are very adventurous. Mine like to climb, unless they have found an interesting food. Then they will eat and go back to climb. Mine will fly halfway across the yard at chest height to try and be first for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom