Dominique Thread!

Doms are a bit independent as chicks.  Don't try to completely envelope them in your hand or they'll scream bloody murder.  We let our chick sit in our open hand and she'd softly chirp but if the hand closed over her she screamed.  Let them come to you and explore your clothes, rings, buttons, hair, eyeglasses while you are sitting on the floor - otherwise they'll take a flying jump off a desk or table and might get hurt.  We had a huge old down blanket we spread out on the floor in case our chick wanted to jump (and they will!).
I am just now reading this. Funny thing....we did that this morning with our new guys. They are so much fun and too cute at 3 days old. When my toddler gets noisey (his playroom is on the other side of the house) they come out to see if they can find the sound. Our older girl was never that adventurous or inquisitive. I think she really didn't care to know.

Hi everyone! I have one Dominique named puddles, and she is very friendly and likes the water

I am just now reading this. Funny thing....we did that this morning with our new guys. They are so much fun and too cute at 3 days old. When my toddler gets noisey (his playroom is on the other side of the house) they come out to see if they can find the sound. Our older girl was never that adventurous or inquisitive. I think she really didn't care to know.

Dom chicks are the funniest cutest most active chicks we've ever had. They are constantly running around and chirping and then suddenly plop down in your hand or on your computer to sleep! Our little chick instantly bonded on the ride home from the feed store - we special ordered her. She would follow us around the house and sit on our slippered feet to nap. If we left her room she'd scream until we came back to talk to her and then she'd happily chirp. One owner said you can always ID Dom chicks in a brooder because they'll be the ones following you around watching you as you watch them! They are extremely people friendly and love carrying on conversations with their humans where other chick breeds will either cower or not be interested in you at all.

Chicks hatched 9 days ago taking their first dust baths. They were driving me nuts flapping around in their bedding in their brooder, so I figured it was time to fill a tub with sand for them. One loved it, one copied her, the others just kinda stood there.

The chicks are a little standoffish, not at all like those of you who say they instantly bonded. They don't want to be held, just tolerate it when I do catch them. No one is mean, no one is screaming, but no one really likes human attention either. What can I do?

Chicks hatched 9 days ago taking their first dust baths. They were driving me nuts flapping around in their bedding in their brooder, so I figured it was time to fill a tub with sand for them. One loved it, one copied her, the others just kinda stood there.

The chicks are a little standoffish, not at all like those of you who say they instantly bonded. They don't want to be held, just tolerate it when I do catch them. No one is mean, no one is screaming, but no one really likes human attention either. What can I do?

Play with them one at a time in another room away from hearing of the other chicks. It might possibly make a difference with no distractions from the brooder mates.

Method I employ that works even with jungle fowl involves feeding with insects. Chicks will ignore a lot when animal prey is a reward for tolerating your attentions. Chicks will quickly, often within minutes learn to not only loose fear of you, they will also come to you and jump up on you. Avoid looking at them directly during early stages of taming.

Back
Top Bottom