Dominique Thread!

image_9.jpg

Any trained eyes want to help me sex this bird? My Doms are so confusing right now, they all have red combs and wattles! 5-6ish weeks old. Even the ones I've been so sure are pullets! Is this the norm?

Here's one of the pullet-y ones with the same comb/wattles:
image_12.jpg

image_9.jpg

Any trained eyes want to help me sex this bird? My Doms are so confusing right now, they all have red combs and wattles! 5-6ish weeks old. Even the ones I've been so sure are pullets! Is this the norm?

Here's one of the pullet-y ones with the same comb/wattles:
image_12.jpg

And here's bird A (right) with bird B (left):
image_11.jpg

And then bird A (left) with a bird C (right) who I'm nearly positive is a cockerel:
image_10.jpg

And here's bird A (right) with bird B (left):
image_11.jpg

And then bird A (left) with a bird C (right) who I'm nearly positive is a cockerel:
image_10.jpg

The dark going down the front of the legs and toes still says pullets to me and since the bird on the right doesn't have a really red comb or wattles still says pullet to me. Anyone else with input?

I think C is a cockerel. With many of mine sexing based on down alone not very accurate. The comb of early juveniles as shown is well into the range I expect for cockerels since pullets already show red in comb by time comb as large and birds also much more mature by that time.

Leg color does say pullet. Foot size cannot be used because not in same field of focus.

I think C is a cockerel. With many of mine sexing based on down alone not very accurate. The comb of early juveniles as shown is well into the range I expect for cockerels since pullets already show red in comb by time comb as large and birds also much more mature by that time.

Leg color does say pullet. Foot size cannot be used because not in same field of focus.

Thanks, everyone! I've been sure C is a cockerel and B is a pullet, but A is the sweetest little thing and I have a couple like it who fall into some grey area of looking 50/50 to me so it's super confusing!

I just got her yesterday. She is 6 months old. She wasn't very socialized and her owner was an old women who couldn't catch her. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to be friendly? She is also picking on my other chickens, should I just let that happen?

FOOD! My chickens love any treats - ie mealworms, stale bread, cucumbers, squash, kitchen peelings, etc.

Most of my spoiled hens are cuddly since they're used to human interaction, but there are always some that simply don't want to be held. Those learn to come when called & eventually take treats from my hand - but they'll never enjoy being touched.

As far as the hen flock intro, I first do a quarantine period. After that, I do a temp set up nearby- the "look but don't touch" approach. After they get used to seeing each other ( maybe 3-7 days ), I slip the newbies in at dark when all are asleep. They can't fight in the dark b/c they can't see. By morning, they'll be a few pecks, but they don't all out fight b/c they already spent the night together. This has worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom