Dominique Thread!

Yep. It is weird. The last three winters haven't been that cold up here, more like an extended fall. And then everyone down there keeps getting hammered.

I have had my breeding groups set up since before Christmas... And never had to use any water heaters. Yes, the waterers get frozen some times, but we haven't needed to bring out water more than once a day, because it doesn't freeze up that fast. We sometimes go out in the afternoon to break ice sheets, but not much more than that.

Last edited:
Last year i started hatching the first weekend in January. Figuring to have some nice birds grown out for fall shows. Managed to hatch over 150 from four single matings. Dominiques were very strong through out the cold winter months and after four weeks were only aided with a hover style brooder using 2 25 watt bulbs inside of a metal tube. Only lost two chicks. After all that work shows were cancelled due to HPAI threat.

As for color, contrast and overall even color on bird will be the most important factor for judges. Washed tails will always throw a male. I have seen my males placed below sub par type males just based on color. Does not make much sense even when comparing points value in the standard. But when judges use thier own preferance over the book that is suppossed to guide them you do not try to figure them out.

Last year i started hatching the first weekend in January. Figuring to have some nice birds grown out for fall shows. Managed to hatch over 150 from four single matings. Dominiques were very strong through out the cold winter months and after four weeks were only aided with a hover style brooder using 2 25 watt bulbs inside of a metal tube. Only lost two chicks. After all that work shows were cancelled due to HPAI threat.

As for color, contrast and overall even color on bird will be the most important factor for judges. Washed tails will always throw a male. I have seen my males placed below sub par type males just based on color. Does not make much sense even when comparing points value in the standard. But when judges use thier own preferance over the book that is suppossed to guide them you do not try to figure them out.

That makes me happy that I do not show.

I would get frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom