Dominique Thread!

After years of pining and research, I finally got some Dominique chicks. They're feed store hatchery quality, so I'm sure they'll be far from the SOP, but I want to get a feel for the breed before I start actually breeding to the standard. I'm only 25, so I'm not a homeowner and have limited resources. But I'm working my way to hopefully being able to help preserve the breed in a few years!
I think you'll find Doms are sweet birds. We got ours b/c our daughter liked the looks of a friend's Barred Rock. (However, I disliked how they pecked at fingers & wanted something a little more unique.) A Dominique was the answer. I'm always impressed at the intelligence of our Dom. She's also a very people friendly bird that fits right in with the flock.

After years of pining and research, I finally got some Dominique chicks. They're feed store hatchery quality, so I'm sure they'll be far from the SOP, but I want to get a feel for the breed before I start actually breeding to the standard. I'm only 25, so I'm not a homeowner and have limited resources. But I'm working my way to hopefully being able to help preserve the breed in a few years!

I'm also 25 with my first feed store hatchery Dom chicks! I'm loving them already! I had been planning on only keeping one for myself and giving the rest to a friend who hates brooding chicks (I like a varied flock). Two of the five Dom "pullets" have grown into cockerels unfortunately, so I'll be rehoming them this weekend. But the more research I do the more I love the breed so I've decided to give my friend only one and keep two for myself muahahaha.

I have been having a great hatch, I think I have 50 little doms right now.

I have some 3 month old ones to pick my show birds cockerels from. With a bunch to pick my hens from for next year.

My last hatch (Sunday) I hatched 32 chicks from 36 dom eggs! I will be getting rid of those next weekend at a sale in New Ulm. My Doms ( even though someone on here hates them) are considered the next best birds to Duane Urch himself, being they are so close to his, (first generation out) .

The only problem I can see is I will be competing against my own birds this fall, Thats ok Duane dd that last year with me.

Enjoy the spring all.

Oh and I mailed my first batch ever of chick to a guy in Wyoming it went so well, He got 15 of the 16 I sent in perfect health, One died,,It happens.

Last edited:
I have been having a great hatch, I think  I have 50 little doms right now.

I have some 3 month old ones to pick my show birds cockerels from. With a bunch to pick my hens from for next year.

My last hatch (Sunday) I hatched 32 chicks from 36 dom eggs!  I will be getting rid of those next weekend at a sale in New Ulm.    My Doms ( even though someone on here hates them) are considered the next best birds to Duane Urch himself, being they are so close to his, (first generation out) .

The only problem  I can see is I will be competing against my own birds this fall, Thats ok Duane dd that last year with me.

Enjoy the spring all. 

Oh and I mailed my first batch ever of chick to a guy in Wyoming it went so well, He got 15 of the 16 I sent in perfect health, One died,,It happens.

Sounds excellent!

As to the different Dom lines... we each have our own druthers. Personally, I like Duane's birds, and the fact that his girls are so dark.

It does however look like many of the breeders are currently aiming for much lighter birds.

Whatever...to each his own.

I like his girls too, but I love the shape of his roosters. I am not sure they are the "friendliest" roosters I have ever seen..... But I have a few years to get what I want out of them.

I have noticed the head spots are not as well developed or easy to differentiate as I would like either.
BUT to me that is minor. Like you said we each have our own goals and desires plus the SOPs are written vague enough we all have to interpret them the way we want and the judges we deal with do.

If it was easy everyone would be showing winners all the time everywhere...hand out the participation awards!
lau.gif

Hey there's a newbie asking for help identifying a couple of hatchery Dominique chicks in the new post section if any of you have time.

Last edited:
Sounds excellent!

As to the different Dom lines... we each have our own druthers. Personally, I like Duane's birds, and the fact that his girls are so dark.

It does however look like many of the breeders are currently aiming for much lighter birds.

Whatever...to each his own.

Alaskan, is Duane Urch still selling poultry? I was unable to find any thing current on him this spring or a catalog online. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom