Dominique Thread!

For those of you wondering why would say that... Holm came over and picked two birds from my cull pen, he got third in Cockerels and second in pullets off them...I am going to be checking his trunk before he leaves here again!

Post all your Dominique information, incite, pictures and questions here!--I asked if there had been a thread started and no one replied so, I guess I will start one!

Anyone else have them or breed them??

I only have one. She came to me as a stray, found at the end of my very rural drive (nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. My grandson thought she was one of my Barred Rocks but the minute I saw her I knew she was not a barred rock and thought she might be a Dominique. I confirmed it with my APA Standard of Prefection book.

She seems very sweet. She stands her ground--will not be bullied. She looks to be around 18 weeks old. She is getting some fluffy tail feathers and her comb has started to turn more red during her 5+weeks in 'jail'. She has become a nice addition to my flock..

I would love to see others pictures, hear of your experiences with these birds and learn from you!!

Let's hear it!

Dominiques are one of my favorite breeds! We used to have a nice sized flock of about 40 hens. This male was beautiful. This is definitely one of my best photos I have taken of my chickens.
dominique.jpg

I have different breeds that I got from Murray McMurray in late June. They are a little over 4 months old now. I ordered 7 Dominique hens and one is a rooster, which is fine with me. I don't know why but two hens have obvious problems, I will post a picture of "Lumpetta" when she was very young and I will take a picture later and post it of "Gail,Gail with the crooked tail" I don't think Lumpetta has wry neck but I am not sure, she has a huge lump on her upper back or neck and so she can't raise her head very much at all. She is happy and seems able to have a decent life. Gail looks like her spine is curved and her tail is off to one side. I wonder why this has only happened to the Dominique's in my flock? I don't know if they were injured before they arrived to me or were injured by the others when they were young chicks??? Thanks for any input. I don't want to cull them. I just wonder (especially Gail) if they will be able to lay eggs when that times comes. This is a photo of Lumpetta a few months ago. She was always smaller than the other Dom girls.

Attachments

• Little Lumpetta - Edited.png
    Little Lumpetta - Edited.png
    3 MB · Views: 6
odd.

I would give them extra vitamins for at least a week...just because those issues could be due to a lack of vitamins, but honestly I think at this age it won't matter.

I have had one hen with a bent back. I was wondering if laying would kill her (egg get stuck somewhere ). However, she did fine. Her eggs always had a slight bump/ring around the middle, but otherwise were great. Because of the bump on her eggs I was able to keep her and not worry about hatching her eggs. She was fine health wise etc. but I didn't want to hatch her chicks incase the bent back was genetic.

No idea about lumpy.

I do not think your Dominique issues are due to the breed.

Th
odd.

I would give them extra vitamins for at least a week...just because those issues could be due to a lack of vitamins, but honestly I think at this age it won't matter.

I have had one hen with a bent back. I was wondering if laying would kill her (egg get stuck somewhere ). However, she did fine. Her eggs always had a slight bump/ring around the middle, but otherwise were great. Because of the bump on her eggs I was able to keep her and not worry about hatching her eggs. She was fine health wise etc. but I didn't want to hatch her chicks incase the bent back was genetic.

No idea about lumpy.

I do not think your Dominique issues are due to the breed.

T
odd.

No idea about lumpy.

I do not think your Dominique issues are due to the breed.[/

Thanks so much, I feel better knowing your hen was able to lay eggs. I was wondering the same thing, if mine would get egg bound or die. I appreciate your fast reply and advice!

Back
Top Bottom