Dominique Thread!

We were told she was a barred rock from our local feed store
from the feed store she *should* be a pure bred something.

I ask because with a pure bred breed that has the Cuckoo or Barred color... dark = female and light =male.

However in most crosses with the Barred and Cuckoo coloring the females are pure black and the males are a DARK cuckoo or barred.

I was wondering because your's is nice and dark....like a girl.... and yes that is a perfect rose comb (and Dominiques have a rose comb), but that comb sure is bright red for such a young bird....... unless that bird is male ..... but it is too dark to be a nale... unless it is a cross.

Follow?

It could just be a super early to pink up girl :confused: I haven't had that personally with my Dominiques but I do get that with my white leghorns. My white leghorn girls often pink up crazy insanely early.

I ask because with a pure bred breed that has the Cuckoo or Barred color... dark = female and light =male.

However in most crosses with the Barred and Cuckoo coloring the females are pure black and the males are a DARK cuckoo or barred.

I was wondering because your's is nice and dark....like a girl.... and yes that is a perfect rose comb (and Dominiques have a rose comb), but that comb sure is bright red for such a young bird....... unless that bird is male ..... but it is too dark to be a nale... unless it is a cross.

Follow?

It could just be a super early to pink up girl :confused: I haven't had that personally with my Dominiques but I do get that with my white leghorns. My white leghorn girls often pink up crazy insanely early.
My money goes on a cross.

Follow?

Got it! Yeah everyone keeps saying the comb is pretty red for a girl

Follow?

Good points made! I didn't think about sexlinked hybrids. You're probably right.

My Dom is 7.5 / almost 8 wks now.
dark color
dark wash on shanks/toes
black on a lot of the beak
has a small, flat comb, but I'm seeing some pink & little wattles. I don't remember Bubbles being pink this early. Do I have a male or an early bloomer?

IMG_8576.JPG
IMG_8580.JPG
IMG_8587.JPG
IMG_8593.JPG
IMG_8594.JPG

My first lot of 2018 moving out to barn. Five are about 3 weeks old and seven are about 2 weeks old, plus a couple game chicks. Another batch of nine is in brooder with another 11 expected to hatch in next 48 hours and about eight to hatch a week later. Shooting for a 100 chicks from three hens with youngest at 3 years of age.

20180429_091132-jpg.1364557

Back
Top Bottom