Dominique Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Depending on the strain, Dominique can sometimes be sexed as newly hatched chicks by their leg color; pullets have darker legs and toes, males are clear of the black or "sootiness". Or you can tell by the spot on their head; a smaller, more concentrated spot is a pullet, while a larger, less defined spot, or one scattered with black is a cockerel.

These are some chicks I just picked up this past week; can you tell what sex they are?
wink.png

72823_p3193310.jpg

Group Shot

72823_p3193312.jpg

Closeup

72823_p3193314.jpg

Second Group Closeup

Those are toughies! Without seeing their legs to help make a decision.... going in a J shape (with the one on the very left being last..)

I would say
cockerel cockerel pullet (are there two there - one under the other's butt? I cant't tell!) cockerel, pullet, pullet?, pullet, pullet, cockerel.

2nd photo left to right
pullet cockerel cockerel

3rd photo I can't tell really. Based on beak color alone, I'd say pullet cockerel cockerel pullet.

I go more off the pattern of the white (both on the head and the body) supported by the leg color, barring on wings and beak color.

Last edited:
In December of 2010 I purchased a roo and 3 hens. This is my first experience with raising chickens so I had a lot to learn. Two weeks after I got them the hens started to lay and have not stopped. I get eggs daily. Little Richard really takes care of his girls. All of them are gentle and fun to watch. A great first experience. Im hoping to get some chicks because they are beautiful birds:cd:cd:love

Little Richard, Lady Gaga, Nene, Henny Penny, Red, Punkin Smallest
D.gif

Quote:
Depending on the strain, Dominique can sometimes be sexed as newly hatched chicks by their leg color; pullets have darker legs and toes, males are clear of the black or "sootiness". Or you can tell by the spot on their head; a smaller, more concentrated spot is a pullet, while a larger, less defined spot, or one scattered with black is a cockerel.

These are some chicks I just picked up this past week; can you tell what sex they are?
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72823_p3193310.jpg
Group Shot

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72823_p3193312.jpg
Closeup

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72823_p3193314.jpg
Second Group Closeup

Thank you so much for such a nice instructional aide. Are you going to tell us what you think they are????
I went & re examined my 3 little ones & all I can tell you is I think I have 2 of one sex & 1 of the other.....LOL. I started out thinking Cockerel, pullet, pullet but after all this new information from you & others I don't know. The legs are flesh colored but with a sooty overlay on some parts. The beaks all have some dark on them one alot more than the other 2. I have been trying to learn to vent check them but couldn't find any bump. Will try again later with my magnifying headband I have upstairs. What a learning experience raising chickens has been. I have had chickens many times over the past 31 years since we moved to the country but didn't get serious about it until 3 years ago when I got into the Marans.....What fun it has all been.

I don't know about all strains, but the Dom chicks we have had - the cockerels might have some sootiness on the legs as young chicks, but it's broken up. They remind me of those types of corn that have the black and yellow kernels
big_smile.png
I'll take a pic today to show you what I mean - we have some new chickies!

Quote:
Thank you that will be so helpful. With my luck I will have all 3 cockerels after only getting 3 chicks out of a dozen shipped eggs.........LOL
I went to the County 4H poultry show this morning & there was not 1 Dominique there. The same way with the big show in stocktona couple of months ago. I was already thinking of doing Dominiques at that time & waslooking forward to seeing some...Nope, not a one there to see. Not one Marans of any variety either, only 1 Light Sussex & 1 Ameraucana and no Andalusians at all. I guess I chose some really unpopular breeds to raise but I chose what I wanted for my own reasons. I am good with that.

sewandgrow - you were at the Stockton show? We were there as well!
big_smile.png
There was one pair of Dominique bantams. The hen was nice but she wouldn't hold still at all in the cage, so she was hard to get a good look at and even harder to get a good photo of
hmm.png

I've found it kind of hard to piece together all the photos I've seen on this thread with comments that were really educational... it's a wonderful source of info but it's spread out so unless someone wants to go through all (61?) pages I can't see the birds posted here side by side.

So I posted a Dominique "show" for us all to hopefully learn a bit from! Mr NYREDS will be judging. It's very fun to read the online show threads and see cute pictures of fluffbutts, but I'm hoping this thread will be a bit more serious so we can really compare a few birds side by side (in photos unfortunately) and learn from that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5940126#p5940126

Quote:
Is it the Cackle doms? Mine have em......

Had to bag and re-tag some 7 month old Cackle Hatchery dom hens. More than half developing spurs that will be solid with well defined point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom