Dominique Thread!

Pics
Quote:
The real beauty of David Hyman's line is it's age; it can be traced back unbroken breeder to breeder.
The Voter line started with stock acquired from the same breeder Hyman got his, plus the addition of a a couple of McMurray cocks.

Didn't you mention somewhere the other half of that cockerel you're planning to use is a game? Breeding experiments are fine and fun to do, but not so much with the last of a rare strain.
hmm.png
Why not save the crossbred male for other projects and put a Hyman line male over the hens, and breed back from that instead of adding a crossbreed?

Quote:
The real beauty of David Hyman's line is it's age; it can be traced back unbroken breeder to breeder.
The Voter line started with stock acquired from the same breeder Hyman got his, plus the addition of a a couple of McMurray cocks.

Didn't you mention somewhere the other half of that cockerel you're planning to use is a game? Breeding experiments are fine and fun to do, but not so much with the last of a rare strain.
hmm.png
Why not save the crossbred male for other projects and put a Hyman line male over the hens, and breed back from that instead of adding a crossbreed?

buffalogal,

My crossbred cockerels involving the Voter line used a different line of American dominique, a production line from Missouri that is not Hyman but possibly at least in part derived from Voter stock. Best I can find since everyone else destroyed balance of Voter line.

Crossbreeding efforts you are confusing with my Voter project do involve interbreed crossings as that effort is being kept very separate.

Hey guys! I saw this dominique thread and thought id stop in. I just recently got three dominique hens to go with my five leghorns. I love them! I am new to this,
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
but just thought id share that with you guys!

"Spot", the first of my six Doms, three Orps, and three white "?" to make it to Level 2 in my brooder! At least the first one I caught up there!! She's two weeks old today (4/10). That is a 3/4" dowel mounted at 16" from the floor on the inner frame of my brooder. Level 1 is at 8", and the upper deck (Level 3) is at 24".

And yes, my kids named the chicks!

Mark

IMG_2236-1.jpg

Quote:
Cackle in Missouri has the best commercial stock I've seen (i.e. little to no evidence of a BR cross), but still, the Hyman line is the truest purebred stock to be had anywhere. The Voters got their birds from the same source as Hyman, so it would in effect, be linebreeding.
Do you have a Hyman line cock to use on them? I have a spare if you would rather use one. Then again Fred is probably less than two hours from you, so you could probably go "straight to the horse's mouth".
smile.png

Thanks for the tip about Cackle; as I'm already expecting some chicks from them this May, maybe I'll see if I can add a few Dominiques.

The club breeders'directory, does it reflect in any way which lines different breeders raise? Who else out there has Hyman... about how many Hyman birds would you estimate there are, total, in the U.S today?

By the way, I noticed this thread in the archives:

BYC online "Dominique Show" - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6123943

It
would be great if a few more people posted pictures of their chickens - it's a great educational idea!

Best - exop

Quote:
Cackle in Missouri has the best commercial stock I've seen (i.e. little to no evidence of a BR cross), but still, the Hyman line is the truest purebred stock to be had anywhere. The Voters got their birds from the same source as Hyman, so it would in effect, be linebreeding.
Do you have a Hyman line cock to use on them? I have a spare if you would rather use one. Then again Fred is probably less than two hours from you, so you could probably go "straight to the horse's mouth".
smile.png

Hyman is one of lines I have in possession from Fred Farthing. Also in fairly regular communication with him.

I agree Cackle hatchery has best approximation of true dom in their flock but eggs produced by those birds are a bit on dark side relative to Hyman, Halbach - Stichler and Voter lines.

Line breeding to be employed with Voter hens will start with a cockerol (previously mentioned outcross) that is out of Voter hen that passed away last season. Male and and his male descendents will be bred back to remaining Voter hens until they can no longer get job done. I hope to have a flock of about 50 Voters by end of line breeding effort. They will be only a shadow of original Voter line until some new blood is added. New blood will either be of unique Voter derived stock or pure Voter if found. Hyman line as exist today is distinct from Voter and is a conservation effort in its own right. In my setting, Hyman line seems tougher than Stichler-Halbach line.

I will be interested in getting some of the Voters off my place to insure against catastrophic loss.

How are Duane Urch's Dominiques? I've been impressed with some of his other birds which I have raised... When I asked about one of the breeds he's had a closed flock of since the sixties, he said he recalled they came from Henry Miller... so I wonder if his Dominiques might be from Henry Miller as well.

Best - exop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom