1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominiques

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Red Rooster, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Chris09, that is a very nice hen. Is she of your own breeding?

She is form Shady Lane Poultry Farm back when they offered Dominique.

Chris

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:NYREDS, same to you. Did you breed these?

Yes, I have been working on this strain for 6 years now.

They are very nice! What were the original strain(s) you started with?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sorry, meant rose comb! I am seriously off today.

4. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Mine are pretty cheeky towards other fowl. Has anyone else noticed this with their Doms?

5. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:Yes, I had some hens with another flock and they picked on the smallest, a cubalaya to the point she wouldn't come out of the coop. I had to separate the Dominiques needless to say. But they don't seem to be as aggressive towards each other.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Yes, I have been working on this strain for 6 years now.

They are very nice! What were the original strain(s) you started with?

Got my first Dominiques from Art Rankin who has bred a flock of them in Northern NY for over 50 years. Added some from Mike Stickler of Ohio a couple of years later.
    This year's are better still. I'll try to get some new pictures up soon.

7. FarmerFaith81

FarmerFaith81 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    I have recently come across two females in an auction (which I've named Lucy and Ethel). They are very friendly and allow me to hold them and do not attack or seem aggressive when I enter their coop to feed and water them. They are very friendly with my silver seabright rooster (Henry). I was hopig to get some ladies for Henry, and I did, but not the ones I perticularly wanted, but none the less they have grown on me. I am new to this whole chicken business, (Henry was my christmas present this year from my husband), and any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Faith

8. ChickenAddict92

ChickenAddict92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Hi, I'm new here. I just felt I should comment on this thread since I have three beautiful Dominique hens. [​IMG]

One question: I got all of them from the same hatchery, but two of the hens have rose combs and one has a single comb. I know the single combed one is a dominique because her coloring is the same as the other two, but her comb is really different. Do any of you have an idea why?

9. ChickenAddict92

ChickenAddict92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Upstate NY
    My user pic (is that what you call it?) is a pic of 1 of my dominiques. She's not the single-combed one.[​IMG]
    This here is Duck my single-combed dominique.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    In hatchery Dominiques, there is some cross breeding with Barred-rocks which have single combs which means you could get a rose or single or somewhere in between. Your avatar hen has a modified rose comb. A true rose comb is very flat against the head. I have a BR Roo and 2 Dominique hens, one of which has a modified rose comb.

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by