Dominiques

In hatchery Dominiques, there is some cross breeding with Barred-rocks which have single combs which means you could get a rose or single or somewhere in between. Your avatar hen has a modified rose comb. A true rose comb is very flat against the head. I have a BR Roo and 2 Dominique hens, one of which has a modified rose comb.

Could you please clarify the difference between a rose and modified rose, and does it occur in both sexes.

Could you please clarify the difference between a rose and modified rose, and does it occur in both sexes.

Modified rose comb would be an impure rose comb (one copy of rose comb gene and one copy of the single comb gene.) And yes it can accur in both sexes.

Thanks for the feedback!
big_smile.png

The Cackle Dominiques are supposed to be halfway decent—at least the bantams. They originate from one of the best known Dominique breeders in the country, and rumor has it they haven't let them slip too badly. I'll be able to let you know this spring if that is true or not! I'm looking forward to playing with them.

They do come in bantam or large fowl.

The Cackle Dominiques are supposed to be halfway decent—at least the bantams. They originate from one of the best known Dominique breeders in the country, and rumor has it they haven't let them slip too badly. I'll be able to let you know this spring if that is true or not! I'm looking forward to playing with them.

They do come in bantam or large fowl.

I have some of the Cackle Dominiques, and out of 14 hens, 9 have modified rose combs, and random iridescent looking green feathers. The other 5 are decent looking hens, with the right feathering and combs. They are large fowl, but smaller than most LF breeds. The hens have laid pretty good all winter, and the culled roosters had good meaty breasts. Mine love to fly, and are friendly inquisitive birds.

UPON SEPERATING MY DIFFERENT LARGE FOWL BREEDS LAST SEASON FOR THE REASON OF BREEDING, I FOUND THE DOMINIQUE TO EAT ABOUT 30% LESS FOOD COMPARED TO SEVERAL OTHER LARGE BREED FOWLS. VERY COLD HARDY, EXCELLENT FORAGER AND AL AROUND BEST BARNYARD CHICKEN.

I've been wanting to get some show-quality chickens to breed and enter in some local shows and finally decided on Dominiques because of their history and sex-link characteristics. I've been looking around and I found this website. Does anybody have birds from them? If so, do they meet the standard? They only have one photo of a Dominique on their website, and it isn't a very good one, so it's hard to tell.

Hi All!
I am so excited and can't wait to start setting eggs from my Dominique group. I am new to the breed and bought some Dominique's from a breeder not far from me that had decided to concentrate on a different breed. I then lucked into taking them to Shawnee in Dec and ran into some very knowledgeable people. There I lucked into meeting some really nice Dominique folks one of which was Fred Farthing. I am so excited because after having him look over my birds and advise me on what I should breed for I was able to get one of his Roos from a lady that did not need him for hers. She had bought from Fred earlier in the year and this one was a bit to light for her breeding program but would work perfect for my darker hens! Needless to say I am so happy to find others in this breed. I hope to start setting some of my eggs in the next 4 weeks. I hope to find others in the group that will be setting eggs soon too.
Best Wishes,
Stephenie

Back
Top Bottom