Dominiques

Glad to see so many people interested in this beautiful breed...

Two things to address - someone mentioned "modified rose comb". Yes you can have a rose comb bird with a single comb gene in there but they may have a terrible rose comb and they may have an exceptional rose comb. I do not believe it is the single comb gene's fault, it is the combination of many factors.

Someone posted a link with Dominiques for sale. I have never bought from them but sadly the male they have photographed on their site is in no way exceptional. Perhaps he is not a good representative of their breeding program and they really do have nice birds, but if that is the case they should post photos of those nice birds.

There are several breeders listed in the Dominique Club of America's breeder's directory. The club is active and putting out some great newsletters again as well. We always love more members willing to learn and willing to teach and share knowledge to better this breed.

There is another thread here on BYC for Dominiques an official breed thread or something like that, more photos and discussion there I think ?
Here's my questions for folks who have had Dominiques for a while. I got my LF doms from Murray McMurray via local hardware store. I love these little birds, and love everything I have read about them. What can I expect in the way of egg production and size. And, how do MM Doms compare to SOP? I might like to get a Roo in the spring so I can start a new generation, or I may even get a Black Ameraucana roo with the goal of producing a sex linked OE with either a pea or rose comb. Any one out there well versed in genetics care to comment on my thoughts re: the SLOE??

My first dominque
The guy at the feed store thinking I knew nothing about chickens said we have some dominques they are the same thing as barred rocks I couldn't help but inform him otherwise although I'm no expert I do know there is a difference

updated bama picture

Back
Top Bottom