Donating Eggs? (Upstate NY)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by BrindleFinch, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BrindleFinch

BrindleFinch Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    So... this is probably a weird question since most people are here looking up laws on selling eggs, but I'm wondering if any organizations accept dozens of donated eggs? I'm not even sure how I would go about it. I have a lot right now and don't really need any extra income from selling their eggs - I'd rather give back to the community while we're in a position to do so, because that could change at any time, y'know?

I'm in Oneida County, NY. I'm not sure if you even can donate eggs to rescue missions/soup kitchens/that sort of thing? I don't even know where to start looking because googling "donating eggs" and the like brings up donating human eggs, haha.

Any advice would be appreciated.

penny1960, DobieLover, MROO and 2 others like this.
  2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I'd suggest calling a local soup kitchen and asking if they want some eggs. They probably do.

3. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    I'd start by calling your local food bank, and/or soup kitchens. They should be familiar with the regulations. Good for you for giving forward.

penny1960, sourland, dunnmom and 4 others like this.
  4. MROO

MROO Crowing

I'm in Maryland - and our church runs an outreach program for food. They've been taking garden donations, so I can't imagine they would turn down fresh eggs! If you contact a local church group, I'm sure they have a contact.

5. BrindleFinch

BrindleFinch Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I've gone ahead and messaged a couple of food banks near me. One of them serves free walk in breakfast on the weekends, hopefully they take fresh eggs! :wee

6. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    If the food banks won’t take them due to food safety regs, I would try the advice above about calling about church pantries. Good luck, and bless you for your generosity.

penny1960 likes this.
  7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Check your state I donate to our local food bank it is allowed here @dunnmom

dunnmom likes this.
  8. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Songster

Nov 12, 2017
    West Central Ohio
    In my area my neighbor has donated eggs to the local food pantry, and they knew they were from backyard chickens. Good luck!

Did you hear back from any of the places you called?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: