Donating surplus to food kitchens?

I clear out all my excess eggs every Tuesday--103 doz in the last 10 weeks since my girls started laying--by taking them to our local food bank. They are happy to get them and collect egg boxes for me to bring more. I just warn them that the eggs aren't graded for size nor candled (so shouldn't be added directly) and, while I try to make sure they're cleaned, I suggest washing before using. Only problem I've had is, apparently, one family refuses to take any eggs that aren't white. (I have just 4 brown leghorns, 4 ameraucanas and 30 brown layers, so they don't have a lot of choice,:lau)

I clear out all my excess eggs every Tuesday--103 doz in the last 10 weeks since my girls started laying--by taking them to our local food bank. They are happy to get them and collect egg boxes for me to bring more. I just warn them that the eggs aren't graded for size nor candled (so shouldn't be added directly) and, while I try to make sure they're cleaned, I suggest washing before using. Only problem I've had is, apparently, one family refuses to take any eggs that aren't white. (I have just 4 brown leghorns, 4 ameraucanas and 30 brown layers, so they don't have a lot of choice,:lau)
Thank your for the info. Even more - thank you for the kind deed for those less fortunate.

Here, the food banks don't accept anything that is not FDA approved, including meat, eggs, and vegetables. I understand the need for the regulations. It's a shame the regulations are needed that way, but they are. All you need is one person that has sick animals, and doesn't want to suffer the financial loss, so they donate for the tax credit, and people get sick. Here, we don't have that much road kill, but the big stuff goes to wildlife sanctuaries for exotic animals, like lions, tigers, and other wild cats. I believe it can be written off that way too, and they're not nearly as picky about it being USDA.

here we can sell eggs, but restaurants cannot cook home grown eggs.
IDK if food pantries will accept eggs.
I know meat is a no no.
I would think that with a little searching, someone could find a needy family or two to give the chickens and/or eggs directly to.
They might even be willing to help butcher .
If those people refused the brown eggs, they must not be very hungry..Probably free loaders that can afford to buy their own food but find it cheaper to take from the food pantry.. It happens,

I do understand that there is risk, but properly stored and cooked the risk is minuscule. But I'll read the links and talk to more butchers to see if I can find a way. It's so easy to raise extra birds- imagine is every BYC member with extra cockerels could give them to a food bank.
Thank you for the kind sentiments, NHMountainMan. I am disabled and it truly brought me joy to raise birds (after a 40 year hiatus). My understanding of the law means I cannot donate or give these birds to the facilities live. As a former nurse i am still dedicated to saving lives and I just don't have the heart to cull them. So... I would need to pay for someone else to get certification to do the necessary processing, which is not within my scope of finances at this time. Anyway...

Interesting: Food banks will accept venison, which could well spread wasting disease and TB, that is culled on public lands but not privately butchered animals.
Yes. That's about the size of it. What really hurts is most of our feed is organic, too. I'm close to being vegan...so, the birds are just a side line. But if the powers that be want to be sticklers about health and sanitation, when I'm offering to help, maybe there aren't any hungry people in Savannah, GA after all.

Food safety is important, and I'm with that. Sometimes the regulations don't fit every situation, for sure, and the whole CWD in venison issue seems to not be addressed well at all. Ask about it!
Everyone is gunshy about lawsuits, and that's part of the story when it comes to home grown eggs. I gift any extra here to local people in need, not through an official agency.
Mary

Our eggs are gathered every morning and washed. We only provide eggs that have been candled by our two government certified candlers; that includes myself. We spring for the cartons - free of charge. Really they have no excuse in my book but....

Back
Top Bottom