Don't buy this waterer.

It locks pretty tight and can get frozen in place if you get thaw/freeze cycles where it warms up enough to thaw and then hard freezes. I plan my refills around when the weather is warm enough for the top to not freeze in place.

It's sized to perch very well on top of an upside down bucket, which also places it at a pretty good height for standard size birds to access. A upside down flower pot could probably work as well if you want to adjust the height.

The fact that it's not transparent is a bonus for me, I specifically looked for that, as an opaque waterer in my location doesn't grow algae. But yes that does make it hard to see how much water is in it. I'm pretty good at figuring out how full it is by just giving it a lift with the handle - if I have to try to lift it, it's still full enough.

The fact that it's not transparent is a just minor inconvenience as long as I can pick it up without the bottom falling off or it spilling everywhere. Seems like it would be a good fit for what I need.

I went ahead and ordered that waterer from Premier 1 Supplies. It says it should be here in 4-5 days. It's supposed to warm up above freezing tomorrow through Tuesday but hopefully it will be here before Wednesday when it dips back down. If not Ill just have to keep changing out their water a few times a day. Thanks for the suggestion!

I don't really like the open water bowls, the chickens make a mess out of it pretty quickly.

I just want something I can grab easily without spilling, take inside, clean and fill it, and take it back outside without spilling. It'd be really great if I can quickly and easily top it off without taking it inside.

Inspired by your negative review of the water fount that did not work, I posted a positive review on my setup which I am very happy with: Winter Waterer Success at -17F

It's just the old fashioned Little Giant metal 3 gallon water fount with a metal base heater. However, it fulfills all your requirements. The metal fount is easy to carry with little or no spilling of water. The double wall system allows you to take off the outside shell, and carry the inside container to your water source, fill it up, and take it back outside without spilling any water. This is because water will not flow until you put the outer shell back on it. The outer shell pushes in a rubber grommet which only then allows water to flow into the fount. When the outer shell is taken off, the metal fount is like a 3 gallon pail. I usually give my fount a little scrub, if needed, when I refill the container. Very easy.

If you want to top off the waterer without taking it inside, you simply remove the outer shell and refill the inside container. Then you put the outer shell back on. So if you have a bucket to carry water out to your coop, or if you have a water hose going out to your coop, that would be an easy way to refill your waterer.

poultry fount.jpg

Little giant base heater.jpg

I will admit that I tend to prefer old fashioned, time tested designs over some of the newer, more flashy products that are available.

Back
Top Bottom