Don't buy this waterer.

I have this model. It prevents the birds from perching on it and pooping in the water.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...y-waterer-heated-25-gal-gray-60w?cm_vc=-10005

This is what the bottle and cap looks like. That cap has an attached plug that opens when the bottle is positioned on the base.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...aterer-replacement-tank-with-cap?cm_vc=-10005

Yes I use an extension cord. I do not keep water in the coop. It is in the run. I take a cloth with me when I take a jug of water for refilling. I remove the bottle, cap it, and set it aside. I lift the debris catcher out, give it a good wipe, set it aside. I wipe the base without dumping the water just yet. Once I'm satisfied I've loosened any yuck I pick it up and tip it away from the electrical side, dumping it over the debris catcher to rinse it. Then I use a small bit of the clean water I brought for a quick final rinse, and set the base back in place. Then I pour my jug of water into the bottle, replace the plugged cap, and pop it back onto the base. I love this unit.

This looks like a pretty good one. How tightly does the lid lock on? I like that the cord can be unscrewed and disconnected. It seems like it would work well set on top of a small bucket. The only thing I immediately don't like is that it's not transparent.

This is the one I use....from Premier....this morning it was -5 Fahrenheit....no problems at all....birds took to the nipples before I could even set the bucket on the cinder block....the lid "locks" in place quite securely...customer service from Premier was great....my extension cord had some exposed wires - they replaced it in two days.....HIGHLY recommended.....

I second the heated bucket from Premier 1. If you're going to spend $50 on a good heated waterer, get theirs. I've had one over a year, kept using it during summer too, and it hasn't failed me yet. Bought 2 more for this winter. Only downside is, you have to spend $100 on their site to get free shipping! :caf

We use two water containers and simply swap them out every morning. The girls have fresh clean water and freezing isn’t a problem. Since we live in Northwest Georgia extreme cold isn’t typically a problem. Also, we only have five chickens. . Strictly small potatoes. . Oh - we put a funnel over the top of the water container to keep the girls from getting it dirty.

I don't really like the open water bowls, the chickens make a mess out of it pretty quickly.

I just want something I can grab easily without spilling, take inside, clean and fill it, and take it back outside without spilling. It'd be really great if I can quickly and easily top it off without taking it inside.

Inspired by your negative review of the water fount that did not work, I posted a positive review on my setup which I am very happy with: Winter Waterer Success at -17F

It's just the old fashioned Little Giant metal 3 gallon water fount with a metal base heater. However, it fulfills all your requirements. The metal fount is easy to carry with little or no spilling of water. The double wall system allows you to take off the outside shell, and carry the inside container to your water source, fill it up, and take it back outside without spilling any water. This is because water will not flow until you put the outer shell back on it. The outer shell pushes in a rubber grommet which only then allows water to flow into the fount. When the outer shell is taken off, the metal fount is like a 3 gallon pail. I usually give my fount a little scrub, if needed, when I refill the container. Very easy.

If you want to top off the waterer without taking it inside, you simply remove the outer shell and refill the inside container. Then you put the outer shell back on. So if you have a bucket to carry water out to your coop, or if you have a water hose going out to your coop, that would be an easy way to refill your waterer.

poultry fount.jpg

Little giant base heater.jpg

I will admit that I tend to prefer old fashioned, time tested designs over some of the newer, more flashy products that are available.

I got the waterer set up this morning. I went out to buy a 3.5 gal bucket but nobody seems to stock them. Hardware stores all have 2 gal and 5 gal. One is too small and the other is too big. So I'm just using my concrete block for now. It's a little low but I'll put a couple pieces of wood on top or something.

I was worried the chickens might be too dumb to figure it out, but the minute I set it down in place of their old waterer they started pecking at the nipples and got the hang of it! Awesome! I had a laser pointer at the ready and was prepared to have to run in and grab one of them if needed but I don't think that will be necessary. So far so good!

IMG_20191213_115224385-2137x1603.jpg

I got the waterer set up this morning. I went out to buy a 3.5 gal bucket but nobody seems to stock them. Hardware stores all have 2 gal and 5 gal. One is too small and the other is too big. So I'm just using my concrete block for now. It's a little low but I'll put a couple pieces of wood on top or something.

I was worried the chickens might be too dumb to figure it out, but the minute I set it down in place of their old waterer they started pecking at the nipples and got the hang of it! Awesome! I had a laser pointer at the ready and was prepared to have to run in and grab one of them if needed but I don't think that will be necessary. So far so good!

View attachment 1980787
I think you will like it....one thing to look out for - when reconnecting the cord, make sure the arrow is visible so it lines up right....you CAN connect it in a different way, which should trip your GFCI.....

Back
Top Bottom