dont know if mites or what

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacampbell1973, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello,
    Dont know what is on my Polish rooster, but had him for three months now. saw crawly bugs crawling up my arms last month. Treated him with bath and treated with Out! Petcare Flea and Tick spray as that was all I had on hand. And dosed entire coop with
    DE. Thought all was well . Saw yesterday his face looked inflamed. so tonight I caught him to put Neosporin on face. Ten minutes later I feel things acrawlin on me! Looking at his Cape I see a huge nest of eggs all black/ Off I run to wash him and lice pick them off. By now he has humped every one of my hens at least 20. what are these and what do i do to kill them. btw they squish easily when i squish them with my finger.... the posts on lice and mites donte help.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They're likely lice as mites don't live on the chickens full time. You need to dust the birds with Sevin dust. Put it in old nylons and use it like a powder puff to coat them. Clean out the coop and dust it too. Repeat in ten days to kill the new ones that will have hatched since the first treatment as the eggs aren't killed by the dust.

DE won't help. It's a preventative if used correctly but it won't kill off an active infestation.

Also, because someone brings this up every time I post, you could use permethrin instead of Sevin. However, permethrin is extremely toxic to cats (and fish if it gets into the water table) so I DO NOT recommend it if you or your neighbors have cats unless you want a dead kitty.

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    did you completely clean out the coop and spray ever knook and cranny? I emptyied mine and washed it with stoing solution in a hose end sprayer, dried . Then "Gorden,s "from TSC is a concentrated spray. Diluted it to suggested strength and spayed heck out of it in coop. Let it dry with blower and fans. then treaetd chickens... after I saw those tiny tiny mites on Baby Girls vent area...
    since then havent put back the pine shavings. Even though they werent old or dirty since I have a poop bd TRAYs I clean everyday I have rubber mat on floor over the pineboards
    also they have access to plenty of dustbathing areas rain or shine
    just some suggestions. Prev did the" Eprinex" on thir neck skin...
    I wont even allow Sevin in my Garden etc. Bought that expensive "Conserve SC" havent used it yet
    just a saying oh and good luck

4. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Thanx guys. All i could find/affkrd was the sevin dust. So here goes nofhi g! I have 32 birds to catch and dust , chichies are too young, and two turkeys. I wont be able to catch my 7 guineas til night and fhe two that sleep in the trees are just SOL [​IMG]thanx for all the help again!

5. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Stupid tablet is so small i hit every letter but the right one! I am edumacated( haha)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by