Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

Good morning, below are pictures of my New Hampshire Reds. They are one of favourite breeds :) These are roughly 12-13 weeks old. I also keep gold laced wyandottes which I find much easier to sex than these.

There are 5 in total. I am very confident that birds 1,3 and 5 are cockerels however I am unsure about birds 2 and 4 - their combs are slightly smaller which leads me to believe that they're pullets but I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 are cockerels! The photos aren't the greatest so my apologies for that. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. :)

Bird 1:
DSC_0473.JPG

Bird 2:
DSC_0479.JPG
DSC_0480.JPG

Bird 3:
DSC_0481.JPG
DSC_0482.JPG

Bird 4:
DSC_0483.JPG
DSC_0484.JPG

Bird 5:
DSC_0486.JPG
DSC_0485.JPG

Yes it's almost 4 months, it's so so weird because I never knew hens could crow and it was the first one to start crowing. :eek:
Older hens with reproductive disorders are most often the crowing females. Anything crowing at a young age is a cockerel. That's quite a red comb for a 4 month old Cochin. They are slow to mature. It's likely a late blooming cockerel.

Good morning, below are pictures of my New Hampshire Reds. They are one of favourite breeds :) These are roughly 12-13 weeks old. I also keep gold laced wyandottes which I find much easier to sex than these.

There are 5 in total. I am very confident that birds 1,3 and 5 are cockerels however I am unsure about birds 2 and 4 - their combs are slightly smaller which leads me to believe that they're pullets but I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 are cockerels! The photos aren't the greatest so my apologies for that. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. :)

Bird 1:
View attachment 1085881

Bird 2:View attachment 1085882 View attachment 1085883

Bird 3:
View attachment 1085884 View attachment 1085886
Bird 4:
View attachment 1085887 View attachment 1085888
Bird 5:
View attachment 1085890 View attachment 1085889

Bird one, three, and five are cockerels

Hey well this is a helpful little corner! I've got gender related questions about my young chickens, myself.

We got a bunch of chicks from our local IFA. The store said all but their bantams were a 90% chance of being hens. When we brought them home, I looked up some ways to tell the gender at such a young age, and the most common seemed to be the wings. We checked all of our chicks' wings, and they all seemed to look like hen wings, so we just went with that.

Watching them grow, I've noticed that 2 in particular are starting to show some signs that might lead them to actually be roosters, despite having hen-like wings. I'm not so sure, so I was hoping for second opinions! They're both about 3 months old.
(Something to keep in mind is that, when they were chicks, they were pecked on by one of our older ones, and so their crests are scarred up, which might make it difficult. :()

The first one is our barred plymouth rock named Mal:
Mal - Full.png

Mal - Head and Comb.png

Mal - Posture.png

Mal - Tail.png

This one's such a sweetie who I never even considered would be a rooster, until I noticed the tail feathers were awfully thin (but rounded).

Next is Puff, our Easter Egger who I really want to be a hen for those super neat eggs!

PUff - Full.png

Puff - Head and Comb.png

Puff - Posture.png

Puff - Tail.png

Puff Head Front.png

The tail feathers of this one are more thick and rounded, yet they're held and colored like a rooster, making me really question the gender. This one is also rather feisty, and likes to play fight with the other pullets (and pick on the bantams).

Even if they're roosters, we'll probably be able to keep them. I've heard of rooster collars which I'll most likely do, and we can find a way to separate them from the hens (we don't want to make more chicks). My biggest problem is that I want those Easter Egger eggs! :fl

Hey well this is a helpful little corner! I've got gender related questions about my young chickens, myself.

We got a bunch of chicks from our local IFA. The store said all but their bantams were a 90% chance of being hens. When we brought them home, I looked up some ways to tell the gender at such a young age, and the most common seemed to be the wings. We checked all of our chicks' wings, and they all seemed to look like hen wings, so we just went with that.

Watching them grow, I've noticed that 2 in particular are starting to show some signs that might lead them to actually be roosters, despite having hen-like wings. I'm not so sure, so I was hoping for second opinions! They're both about 3 months old.
(Something to keep in mind is that, when they were chicks, they were pecked on by one of our older ones, and so their crests are scarred up, which might make it difficult. :()

The first one is our barred plymouth rock named Mal:
View attachment 1086200
View attachment 1086201
View attachment 1086202
View attachment 1086204
This one's such a sweetie who I never even considered would be a rooster, until I noticed the tail feathers were awfully thin (but rounded).

Next is Puff, our Easter Egger who I really want to be a hen for those super neat eggs!

View attachment 1086207
View attachment 1086209
View attachment 1086212
View attachment 1086217
View attachment 1086220
The tail feathers of this one are more thick and rounded, yet they're held and colored like a rooster, making me really question the gender. This one is also rather feisty, and likes to play fight with the other pullets (and pick on the bantams).

Even if they're roosters, we'll probably be able to keep them. I've heard of rooster collars which I'll most likely do, and we can find a way to separate them from the hens (we don't want to make more chicks). My biggest problem is that I want those Easter Egger eggs! :fl
Thank you for posting!! The first one is actually a Dominique, Which looks a bit like a cockerel to me. The easter egger looks like a girl.

Older hens with reproductive disorders are most often the crowing females. Anything crowing at a young age is a cockerel. That's quite a red comb for a 4 month old Cochin. They are slow to mature. It's likely a late blooming cockerel.
Ok, that is very interesting, so you think he's male, and I've had 2 others saying female, and when I got (it) lol, they told me (it) was 4-5 weeks old, and that was 5\9\17. Here is another picture I just took this morning of him/her lol
That is very interesting, I had 2 other people tell me they thought it was a point of lay hen so I am posting this pic that I took this morning, and a pic of the other Black Cochin of same
20170724_084602.jpg
20170724_084335.jpg
age, if you could give me some clues on the other one too. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom