Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

Pics
She's not laying for us yet so no idea on egg color. We're in Georgia and he got them somewhere in Newnan. He described her as "more expensive" than the other 3, which are 2 Rhode Island Reds and an Orpington.
Sorry to not have more to go on bit I appreciate your help!
I see mixed traits. I'd think Amberlink except for the leg tint. That makes me think it's probably a barnyard mix.

I hate to say it but sellers aren't always honest about what they're selling.

This cutie is approximately 4 to 5 months. It's my favorite bc of how beautiful the colors are on this breed. Can someone tell me if this is a rooster and what breed??

No crowing...
Definitely a cockerel. See the pointy feathers on his lower back that hang down to the side? Females never have feathers like those. Some cockerels take longer than others to begin crowing. And he appears to be an Easter Egger.

I bought two Easter Eggers. They are about 3 months I believe. The golden one I think is a pullet, but the black and white is starting to act like a roo. I have heard that a hen can become dominant and have the same attitudes though. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!!
photo0.jpeg photo5.jpeg photo6.jpeg photo8.jpeg photo10.jpeg photo12-1.jpeg photo12.jpeg

I bought two Easter Eggers. They are about 3 months I believe. The golden one I think is a pullet, but the black and white is starting to act like a roo. I have heard that a hen can become dominant and have the same attitudes though. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!!
View attachment 1031859 View attachment 1031860 View attachment 1031861 View attachment 1031862 View attachment 1031863 View attachment 1031864 View attachment 1031865

You are correct, one cockerel one pullet.

What do you think about these birds, sold as "about 8 week araucana pullets". I wasn't planning to purchase them but they come from a not so nice situation. I am trying to learn more about them to understand their behavior. While they've been mostly very appreciative if terrified at first, now on day 3 with us they are fighting over the food here and there although there is plenty of food in a variety of types down for them. They have very scruffy and some missing feathers. They're in isolation from my flock until all is well and we make sure they're not harboring anything disease wise. They do look just a little smaller than my own different breed 9 weekers and I don't see anything screaming roo. I'm sure they just need time, caring and continued good food. Any input /confirmation on ages or gender welcome. I know their correct breed would be EE.
DSCN0922.JPG
DSCN0923.JPG
DSCN2045.JPG
DSCN2057.JPG

Would they send mixed breeds from a hatchery? Don't they kind of keep the separate?
Yes and yes. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Production types are mixed breeds. And their EEs aren't bred to any standard other than selection for the blue egg gene and production.

Hatchery bred is also "breed representative" for even the well-known breeds like barred Rock. If you stand a hatchery Rock next to a show quality one, it's pretty apparent.

What do you think about these birds, sold as "about 8 week araucana pullets". I wasn't planning to purchase them but they come from a not so nice situation. I am trying to learn more about them to understand their behavior. While they've been mostly very appreciative if terrified at first, now on day 3 with us they are fighting over the food here and there although there is plenty of food in a variety of types down for them. They have very scruffy and some missing feathers. They're in isolation from my flock until all is well and we make sure they're not harboring anything disease wise. They do look just a little smaller than my own different breed 9 weekers and I don't see anything screaming roo. I'm sure they just need time, caring and continued good food. Any input /confirmation on ages or gender welcome. I know their correct breed would be EE.View attachment 1031903 View attachment 1031904 View attachment 1031905 View attachment 1031906
Sparring for pecking order position and molting are both to be expected around 8 weeks so their age could be correct. I'm guessing you aren't seeing anything out of the ordinary, you're just noticing it more because you're on high alert for problems.

What do you think about these birds, sold as "about 8 week araucana pullets". I wasn't planning to purchase them but they come from a not so nice situation. I am trying to learn more about them to understand their behavior. While they've been mostly very appreciative if terrified at first, now on day 3 with us they are fighting over the food here and there although there is plenty of food in a variety of types down for them. They have very scruffy and some missing feathers. They're in isolation from my flock until all is well and we make sure they're not harboring anything disease wise. They do look just a little smaller than my own different breed 9 weekers and I don't see anything screaming roo. I'm sure they just need time, caring and continued good food. Any input /confirmation on ages or gender welcome. I know their correct breed would be EE.View attachment 1031903 View attachment 1031904 View attachment 1031905 View attachment 1031906

Sparring for pecking order position and molting are both to be expected around 8 weeks so their age could be correct. I'm guessing you aren't seeing anything out of the ordinary, you're just noticing it more because you're on high alert for problems.

Agreed. I think you have pullets.

Thanks for the replies and reassurance. I think I am looking for issues, my own younger set do spar some too :). I just wish I could un-see where they came from (they were living in a tub in excrement no visible shavings or other bedding) it has me worried about every little thing.

Back
Top Bottom