Don't know what happened :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pommom, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pommom

pommom New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    This is going to sound gross but my favorite hen, my Blue Andalusian was found this morning with what looks like her bowels prolapsed. All the fluffy butt feathers look like they're either wet or missing and you can see something hanging. My friend who has my chickens at her house is a nurse and she thinks it's a prolapsed bowel. I'm wondering if maybe an egg got stuck and she pushed and that happened. Has anyone heard of such a thing? She laid an egg yesterday and seemed ok. These hens are just 20 weeks old and they only started laying last week.

In any event, she's going to be "dispatched" tonight so not to have her suffer. I actually cried when I saw her because she's a petite little thing and my favorite. A week or two ago, she flew out of the pen and the neighbors dog caught her but other than a scratch on her comb, she didn't seem to worse for wear. She's been eating and drinking and laid about three eggs since then so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I think the dog attack had something to do with it, sometimes they clamp down and don't leave a mark but the pressure was applied by their jaws and could cause internal injuries. The vent may have collapsed because of that.

Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by