Dont know what to do!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sunnydt, Jan 16, 2013.

1. sunnydt

sunnydt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hi guys, I have an injured gander. He was attacked by a dog this morning and the skin is off the back of his neck and his vertebrae is kind of exposed. There is tissue around it but you can see the shape of the bones. The front of his neck seems fine. Doesnt look like any veins got damaged. He is my favorite goose and a pet. I dont want to put him down unless I have to but Im not sure how bad his injuries are. He walks around but looks to be disoriented a bit and maybe in shock. He has not eaten or drank anything today since his attack. Any advice? I am just heartbroken over this.

2. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Also if I do have to put him down what is the most humane way to do that? I am thinking about waiting until morning. Right now he is in our bathroom out of the cold.

3. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    He does sound like he could be in shock [​IMG]. Is there any way you could get him to a vet? If his injuries are life threatening, they would be able to euthanize him painlessly. In any case, I hope he looks better tomorrow

4. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I'm gonna see if I can get him to a vet tomorrow. I really hope he is ok. I think its on that fine line of not knowing if i should put him down or if he will improve.

5. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Poor little fellow. [​IMG]

6. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    He seems to be improving. He has been eating and drinking. It takes him a little effort to get his neck up and down because it looks like some of the muscle was damaged. He is just a little off balance but is improving. He has only sat down once and i cant get him to sit down to sleep again. he will just sleep standing up. Trying to find a vet that takes birds is not easy around here. But i plan on finding one.

7. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    another thing is that the skin is off the entire back of his neck and I dont see how it is possible for it to ever grow back and i would think that is an area that needs to be protected so im not sure what anyone could do about that if anything.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If he is still with you, go to TSC and get some Veterycin spray it is for wounds and infections, keep the wound sprayed down with this. It will help keep the wound moist but not gunked up, keep him away from where it can get dirt in it, make sure he has some kind of Poultry vitamin in his water too, Poultry Nutir Drench is a good one to use. It's amazing what they can recover from, but it's going to take alot of time and patience from you to get him through this. I hope he is feeling better today.. And a vet visit would be a very good idea. Please keep us updated on his recovery.

9. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    We had this happen to a pekin duck a while back. He had all the feathers and most of the skin torn from the back of his neck after teasing our lab. We rushed him to the vet and they cleaned the wound and sent us home with a cream antibiotic. He recovered, and continued to play with the dog, and it happened again some months later. This time we just cleaned it ourselves and put on the antibiotic. His back rehealed and he lived several more years.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any update on your gander?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by